News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Neptune warp switch & other questions (at bottom)

Started by octa805, March 06, 2013, 09:23:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

octa805

Would it be possible to have a 2 color LED.

use color 1 to indicate on/off of effect

use color 2 to indicate when warp is engaged?

If so, what would that look like?

Thanks

jimilee

What is this warp you speak of? I am building a Neptune currently also.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

CRBMoA

The 'WARP' is the insanity that happens when you engage the momentary SPST stomp switch.

It seems to me that you could get there with a DPDT moentary stomp and some sareful wiring of the Bi-color LED.

I haven't done it, but it seems plausible.

octa805

Quote from: CRBMoA on March 06, 2013, 10:07:44 PM
The 'WARP' is the insanity that happens when you engage the momentary SPST stomp switch.

It seems to me that you could get there with a DPDT moentary stomp and some sareful wiring of the Bi-color LED.

I haven't done it, but it seems plausible.

That makes sense and thanks.

Just the wiring gets me since isn't the SPST (or a DPDT) completing the circuit?

midwayfair

I'm not sure this is useful at all. Your foot will most likely be covering the LED while you're messing with the warp switch, and it's not like you're going to "leave it on" or anything ... you'll KNOW it's engaged because your foot will be holding it down.

On the other hand, you could so something pretty cool by putting an external LED in series with the LED in the vactrol (or the one you're pointing at the LDR). It'll light up when the warp switch is pressed, and then slowly go back to normal when you let off, giving you a visual indicator of how long the warp lasts.

Standard disclaimers: "I think" "untested" "might be cool."

jimilee

Quote from: midwayfair on March 07, 2013, 03:06:52 AM

Can I get a hell yeah?? Ahahahahahaha I'm in the South so it's ok
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

octa805

Quote from: midwayfair on March 07, 2013, 03:06:52 AM
I'm not sure this is useful at all. Your foot will most likely be covering the LED while you're messing with the warp switch, and it's not like you're going to "leave it on" or anything ... you'll KNOW it's engaged because your foot will be holding it down.

On the other hand, you could so something pretty cool by putting an external LED in series with the LED in the vactrol (or the one you're pointing at the LDR). It'll light up when the warp switch is pressed, and then slowly go back to normal when you let off, giving you a visual indicator of how long the warp lasts.

that sounds fun and kind of what I had in mind. the bi-color LED thing might not work cause I'd have the indicator on whenever I could hit the warp

jimilee

Is that like the tape speed on the multiplex?not totally useful but it's fun,especially for a bass player.

octa805

jimilee-check it out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_XVyHt5AFk

I have a real tech question.

I just finished this up. got delay & bypass going w/ a couple problems.

Question 1---realized I put the 3mm LED in wrong. duh. As I pulled it out I pulled one of the pads. crud. now what?

Question 2--I'm working off beans' standard wiring diagram (http://www.madbeanpedals.com/tutorials/downloads/StandardWiring_MBP.pdf)

I wired all the pots using the lug number of 3,2,1, when looking from the back as shown on the link above to the appropriate 3,2,1 spots marked on the board only..........they all seem backwards? They work, just left is max and full right is min. the heck? Am I totally out to lunch? (very possible)

thanks!

midwayfair

Quote from: octa805 on March 07, 2013, 06:01:32 AM
jimilee-check it out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_XVyHt5AFk

I have a real tech question.

I just finished this up. got delay & bypass going w/ a couple problems.

Question 1---realized I put the 3mm LED in wrong. duh. As I pulled it out I pulled one of the pads. crud. now what?

Question 2--I'm working off beans' standard wiring diagram (http://www.madbeanpedals.com/tutorials/downloads/StandardWiring_MBP.pdf)

I wired all the pots using the lug number of 3,2,1, when looking from the back as shown on the link above to the appropriate 3,2,1 spots marked on the board only..........they all seem backwards? They work, just left is max and full right is min. the heck? Am I totally out to lunch? (very possible)

thanks!

Always use the numbering on individual boards. The designer may flip the pot pads to make the layout better/smaller/easier.

For the lifted pad, if you only lifted one pad, you are probably fine and can still solder it in. Grab the schematic and find the closest part that connects to that pad. Check continuity, and if you don't have it, make yourself a jumper (just as if it was being built on perfboard). It won't look as pretty, but it'll work, which is the important part.

octa805

Pots--Agreed, I followed the numbering on the Neptune board except for the Feedback pot. Instead of 3,2,1 it was marked as 1,2,3. If I switch that it would work as expected, lowest on full left, highest on full right.

The other pots I did per the board and they all seem backwards. Weird. I can't be alone on that one.

I believe I pulled both pads on D1--the circle pad side of the LED. I'm struggling to figure out where that goes per the schematic to jump it

http://www.forrestwhitesides.com/node/113

thanks

octa805

lincolnic

You're not alone on the pots being reversed. If I remember correctly, that's an accident with the screenprinting.

jimilee

Man this is awesome,I'm one 2n2 away from finishing this.turns out,I only had one.

octa805

Quote from: lincolnic on March 08, 2013, 04:33:25 AM
You're not alone on the pots being reversed. If I remember correctly, that's an accident with the screenprinting.

I'm not crazy! Thank you!

Fixed the LED. Jumpered it to R18 and we're up & running. Thanks everyone!

Think I'll leave the pots reversed. Easier than pulling traces again.