News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Chorus quesion.

Started by juansolo, March 05, 2013, 10:11:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

juansolo

I built a Pork Barrel (CE-2) and never really built anything else as it was right. But I'm looking to something else now. What other choruses are there out there? Is anything comparable to the CE-2? Ideally I'm looking for something that does the same job equally well, but more simply...
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

Scruffie

More simple? It's only 2 knobs!

The MXR Micro Chorus would be the only thing I can think of simpler... there's a schematic for using a MN3007 in it over on FSB, might be some unverified etchable layouts too.

Other choruses that come to mind... EHX Small Clone & Clone Theory. Frequency Centrals Little Angel Chorus (PT2399 based) and the BOSS DC-2 which I suppose in function is simpler (4 push buttons) but it's a very complex circuit, probably would just buy the behringer clone (supposedly quite good).
Works at Lectric-FX

pryde

Found this one in my vero library. I have not built it so I can't comment on the sound at all. It is simple in terms of chorus. Most likely will not sound as good as the pork barrel though

GermanCdn

Don't waste your time with the one chip chorus, it's not that great.   The Zombie chorus has a new layout floating around and it sounds pretty good from the demo. And you can build it with no mods if you want simplicity.   It's next on my list once my Tayda order gets in later this week.
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Stomptown

When you say simple do you mean less components? I'm in the process of building a little angel Birthday Edition which is simple in this regard. I've heard pretty good things about it, but there tends to be a bit of bias when you build something yourself. ;)  I'll let you know what I think when I'm done as I'm a huge CE-2 fan and a bit of a skeptic.

IMO you can't match the CE-2 for sound quality and simplicity. I really haven't found a one knob chorus I like. The lack of depth control on the MXR micro makes it a bit over the top for my taste. A depth control mod (if possible) would make it a nice alternative though - or - if your just looking for less knobage maybe the pork barrel with an internal trim pot for depth would be the way to go.

madbean

The Hollis Zombie is great sounding...but I have never been able to get rid of the LFO noise. I've tried a couple times too; with different mods and tweaks.

I second the Little Angel for simplicity. I have my own "baby build" chorus I'm trying to finalize but it's a ways off.

juansolo

Quote from: madbean on March 05, 2013, 10:45:42 PM
The Hollis Zombie is great sounding...but I have never been able to get rid of the LFO noise. I've tried a couple times too; with different mods and tweaks.

I second the Little Angel for simplicity. I have my own "baby build" chorus I'm trying to finalize but it's a ways off.

Built the LA, and if the Zombie has noise then I'll skip that also. I'll hang fire for you mini-chorus I think. Cheers.

RobA

The Small Clone is about the same simplicity level. As the "other" chorus from the era, you need one to cover all your 80's chorus ground.

Personally, I really like the Current Lover as a chorus. But, that's hardly less complex.

Not quite a chorus, but certainly more simple, I built a runoffgroove Tri-Vibe and I think it's great for a subtle wobbly chorus-ie bit.
Affiliations: Music Unfolding (musicunfolding.com), software based effects and Rock•it Frog (rock.it-frog.com), DIY effects (coming soon).

aballen

I'm working on a ce2 right now, but j already have a small clone, tonepd layout, and I have to say I really love it

juansolo

A small clone is one of those rare pedals that I actually own a real one!  :o

RobA

Well, that'd make it kinda pointless to build one then :D.

If you haven't done the Tri-Vibe, give it a shot. It's a bit of a pain to breadboard but I was able to do one that way first and decided I like it enough to go ahead and etch one.
Affiliations: Music Unfolding (musicunfolding.com), software based effects and Rock•it Frog (rock.it-frog.com), DIY effects (coming soon).