Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Egodriver v4 test A/B

Started by teknoman2, March 05, 2013, 10:03:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

teknoman2

I just finished egodriver v4
and I test it with the stock OCD.
The egodriver doesn't have the same amount of gain as the stock.
I have used film box caps for the nF values, ceramics for pF and 10uf electrolytics except C7 wich is tantalum,
all from tayda electronics.
Also C3 is 47nF to cut the low end clipping frequencies.
Ic is TL082.
Also I saw a A/B video test using schematic of stratocastro who uses C7 1uf tantalum and he doesn't have a
a 100R (R12) resistor after the power supply.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFMV5K1d8qw

What should I change to make it similar to the stock one?

mgwhit

Did you build your EgoDriver stock?  A couple of the suggested mods are designed to reduce gain (500kA Gain pot, 100K, 100kA Volume pot), so if you implemented those you might want to back them out.  None of the mods you suggested from the video should affect gain (C7, R12), so don't waste your time there.

Are you using the stock clipping MOSFETs (Q1, Q2) and diode (D1)?

Are you using the LP/HP switch?  The LED/FET clipping switch?  Does the gain problem exist in all switch positions?

When you say "gain" do you mean "loudness" or "distortion"?  Is the affected sound useable, but just not to your liking?  Or is it unusable?

You should, of course, triple check your build -- specifically resistor and potentiometer values.  If you would like to post good, in-focus pictures of your build I and others would be happy to review them.

Good luck!

teknoman2

I am using :
2n7000
d1 1n34a
lp/hp switch and the led clipping

The gain (distortion-drive) problem exists in all positions,
many people say that the secret of OCD is on the type of capacitors.
The real OCD has 3 mosfet and most of the caps except the electrolytic are multilayer ceramic.
Also the C7 is 1uf and not 10uf.
My ic voltages are correct and I believe there isn't a built problem (solder-connection-ground problem).
I will post a video comparing my built vs the real OCD.

Also did you built the egodriver?
What type of caps did you use?

Thanx mate.

gtr2

Just a shout out...

Welcome back Matt!

Josh
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

mgwhit

Quote from: teknoman2 on March 06, 2013, 04:23:16 PM
I am using :
2n7000
d1 1n34a
lp/hp switch and the led clipping

The gain (distortion-drive) problem exists in all positions,
many people say that the secret of OCD is on the type of capacitors.
The real OCD has 3 mosfet and most of the caps except the electrolytic are multilayer ceramic.
Also the C7 is 1uf and not 10uf.
My ic voltages are correct and I believe there isn't a built problem (solder-connection-ground problem).

Also did you built the egodriver?
What type of caps did you use?

Thanks for answering all of my questions!  If there's not really a problem with the build, I probably can't help.  I have built the EgoDriver (v3? v5 PCB), but I have never A/Bed it with a real OCD.  I think I used the lower gain mods, and I like it as is.  I have no idea what caps I used -- probably box WIMAs or similar.  I'll have to look around for my photos, as the pedal itself is currently on my board at my rehearsal location.  I don't buy into capacitor mojo myself, but I'm also not into religious wars about them.  Still, most capacitor-type arguments tend to be about "tone" or noise -- they shouldn't affect gain at all.

Good luck!

(And thanks, Josh!  I've missed you guys.)

teknoman2

I just finished a second egodriver and
I made another test A/B with OCD
and they were 95% the same.
I don't know what happened on my first built but now everything is ok,

Here is my test
https://www.dropbox.com/s/pexi3ilf1s1rhx7/Video%206-3-13%2022%2005%2025.mov

I would like to ask which component or number of component are responsible for the creamy drive of egodriver, just to check them on my first egodriver.

thanx a lot for everything mates.

Briman1974

I just built two also.l have one boxed up and think my clipping section isn't working. I hear no difference in mine. I also have the same issue really low gain. I am planning on boxing up my #2 tonight and we will see what it sounds like. If you find out the answer to your original question I'd like to know,
Brian

teknoman2

Post your IC voltages or some photos,
so we can help you out.

Briman1974

I actually got it working. It is working just there isn't much difference I can really hear using the led clipping or the mosfets. I did compare to my OCD pedal and I have to say its really, really close in tone. Maybe a little less muddy than the OCD. Which is a good thing.