News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Flux

Started by billstein, March 05, 2013, 02:24:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

billstein

Got a question about flux. Who doesn't right?

With the pre-fabbed boards from Madbean, do you use flux? If so, what kind?

Also, I do have a no clean flux pen that is close to 9 years old. Any chance it's still good?

Thanks for all your help

pickdropper

Quote from: billstein on March 05, 2013, 02:24:39 AM
Got a question about flux. Who doesn't right?

With the pre-fabbed boards from Madbean, do you use flux? If so, what kind?

Also, I do have a no clean flux pen that is close to 9 years old. Any chance it's still good?

Thanks for all your help

For through-hole stuff, I usually only use flux if I am reworking a board.

I would throw-out the 9 year old pen as it is most likely no good.  Plus, I generally am not a huge fan of no clean flux.  It helps, but not as much as other types.  I prefer mildly activated flux, but you may want to wash the board if you use a lot of it.

When washing boards, be careful if there are any sockets there.  Flux can get inside of the pins and mess things up. 
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

gtr2

I only use flux when i use desoldering braid.
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

billstein

Thanks for the quick replies.

I just read an article that says flux has tin in it. Would tinning the board do basically the same thing as flux would do?

pedalman

flux is tree sap, not tin
I mod cheap guitars because my local music store said not to.

TNblueshawk

I've seen a few flux questions over the past few years but I have never needed it. Once you get the rosin core solder I just don't see why anyone would need it for pedal building...or amp building either.
John

pickdropper

Quote from: TNblueshawk on March 05, 2013, 08:09:57 PM
I've seen a few flux questions over the past few years but I have never needed it. Once you get the rosin core solder I just don't see why anyone would need it for pedal building...or amp building either.

The rosin core makes it unnecessary for most through-hole stuff, but much of it burns away during the initial soldering process, so it can be useful to add a but of flux if you have to rework (or even just reflow) as it will often yield better looking joints.

For SMT, you need it because the soldering method is different (it isn't fed from the spool like through-hole).  Without it, the solder joints can get a bit ugly, or even cold.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

ChrisM

I find flux is needed on certain amp parts.

Fuse holders, back of pots (though I don't use this grounding scheme), certain ceramic socket pins, etc.

pedalman

i got a can on the bench for tricky or stuborn solder joints
messy mut usefull
I mod cheap guitars because my local music store said not to.