News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Copperclad?

Started by billstein, March 02, 2013, 11:03:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

billstein

Just bought some copperclad on ebay. It's 5 oz it says. Is this the typical size used in stompboxes? It seems pretty heavy.

murdog47

Yikes! That's going to take a long time to etch  :o ! I use 1oz.

billstein

That's what I was afraid of. Do you think it will be usable?

Stomptown

I bought 5 ounce a while back and I still have a ton of it laying around. It took me about 4 hours to do a 2"x2" board. You will get a great etch out of it but it takes longer to heat up the pads and isn't as easy to work with in general (tinning the board would probably help). I would recommend buying some one ounce and try to resell the 5 oz. unless you have lots of time on your hands and use Muriatic acid as an etchant. If you are using Ferric Chloride you will go through it 5 times faster (with muriatic acid you just have to continue adding hydrogen peroxide). Alternatively, you could sand it down before you transfer but it's probably not worth the effort. Here is a board I etched with 5 oz. For what it is worth it turned out great and one benefit is that it is super easy to drill to perfection since the copper is so thick.

billstein

Great looking board. Might be interesting to try and use this for some face plates. Would look great with that depth.

Stomptown

It really would look cool for a faceplate! I might have to try that out and get some of that liquid tin to make it look silver...