News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Dirtbag vs. Aquaboy Deluxe... suggestions?

Started by Micpoc, March 02, 2013, 07:46:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Micpoc

So, both are analog delays that now use two similar BBD chips and feature modulation. For those who have built both - specifically, those of you who have built the original Aquaboy with modulation and double delay daughterboards - what distinguishes these two projects from one another in terms of sound, total delay available, and any thing else that seems important?

Micpoc

No one has any experience with this? Did I post this in the wrong section?

fendman

Its ok I haven't built either of them...but  questions on modulation, bbd's  etc seem to be the latest  what members are asking/talking about.

I asked a question today about a chorus....and when I realised  the pedal I was asking about was in another topic I felt lucky that anybody had  answered me.  I felt really Doh!!!

So you should feel alright about your question...somebody will answer you hopefully :)

GermanCdn

I think the reason no one's answered is probably because the Aquaboy Deluxe has only been out for a week, and no one's built it yet.  Mine's in the mail, I'll let you know when I'm done the build.
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

jkokura

Well, I have built an original Aquaboy with the modulation and double delay daughter boards...

Basically, there's a major difference between the two. The Aquaboy is a clone of the Aquapuss, which is in turn a clone of the Boss DM2. The Dirtbag is a clone of the Deluxe Memory Man.

Have you every played a DMM next to a DM2? That's the difference. If you want to, go take a listen to some demos of those two pedals.

I'll be building up an Aquaboy DLX when my board gets here. I have a set of MN3005s to go in, and hopefully I have all the parts lined up and ready to go. When it gets here, I'll try and compare it with my working Dirtbag with MN3005s.

Could be a month or so though, so don't count on my demo before making a purchase.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

madbean

The DM-2 delays are very percussive sounding in their repeats and have more mid-range content, IMO. The DMM is darker and more aggressive. The modulation between the two, if comparing the Aquaboy and Dirtbag, is quite different. The DMM modulation is narrow in range but very musical. The new Aquaboy is a more fully featured modulation capable of moderate and extreme settings...probably more than you would ever want.

The cost of building the Aquaboy is probably slightly less because it uses less capacitors, but we are talking maybe a couple bucks worth.

I don't have a favorite---they both sound great for what they are. With the Aquaboy you have a slight advantage in that you can tweak the filtering more easily if you want. With the Dirtbag, you can lower the filtering caps a little but not much because the clock creeps in really fast.

Like Jacob said, listen to some demos of the classic DM-2 and DMM to get an idea of their character.

Micpoc

Quote from: GermanCdn on March 05, 2013, 10:27:28 PM
I think the reason no one's answered is probably because the Aquaboy Deluxe has only been out for a week, and no one's built it yet.

Thanks, GermanCdn. That's why I mentioned the add-ons, I figured no one has completed the Deluxe version yet. Can't wait to hear some demos!

Quote from: madbean on March 05, 2013, 10:42:04 PM
The DM-2 delays are very percussive sounding in their repeats and have more mid-range content, IMO. The DMM is darker and more aggressive. The modulation between the two, if comparing the Aquaboy and Dirtbag, is quite different. The DMM modulation is narrow in range but very musical. The new Aquaboy is a more fully featured modulation capable of moderate and extreme settings...probably more than you would ever want.
. . .
I don't have a favorite---they both sound great for what they are. With the Aquaboy you have a slight advantage in that you can tweak the filtering more easily if you want. With the Dirtbag, you can lower the filtering caps a little but not much because the clock creeps in really fast.

Cool, thanks Brian. I DID find this demo (which includes the Panther) but, if anything, to my ears the DMM sounds. . . I don't know, "tinklier", maybe? Doesn't sound darker but it is maybe more "aggressive". Adjectives are tough here.

And thanks to everyone else, too.  :)