News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Sonic Screw Deux

Started by pickdropper, March 02, 2013, 05:02:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pickdropper

This is similar to my other Screwdriver build as it uses the same artwork.   I really wanted a Sonic Screwdriver build with that artwork in a Tardis blue enclosure.  :-)

I decided to post a build report anyway because I did a different PCB layout for this one.  On this build, the only through-hole part is the Germanium.  I swapped the BC109C transistor at Q2 for a SMT 5088.  There are other options as well, but I haven't tried other trannies there. 

It sounds very similar to the original Screwdriver, but this build is a touch more aggressive and has more low end.  Still deciding playing with the settings in comparison with the standard screwdriver.

Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

monkeyssj1

how do you do it!? you're a machine!!

pryde

Stunning.

"DIY Master Builder" on your avatar is dead-nuts correct  8)

midwayfair

Dave, how do you keep the transistor from shorting on the top? Does the board sink in more than it looks like in the pictures?

(Beautiful as always, by the way.)

Haberdasher

Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

pickdropper

Quote from: midwayfair on March 02, 2013, 06:59:15 PM
Dave, how do you keep the transistor from shorting on the top? Does the board sink in more than it looks like in the pictures?

(Beautiful as always, by the way.)

It actually doesn't hit.  I wasn't totally sure until I put the lid on, but apparently there is some clearance.

If it had hit, I would've thinned out the top on a mill until it was clear.
Function f(x)

nzCdog

soldersqueeze

Ughrr... that's so pretty and Doctor Who themed... I need to save up and convince you to sell me a pedal. All your work is beautiful.

Stomptown

Beutiful work! The blue paint looks great with the laser etch.  :o

juansolo

Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

pickdropper

Thanks for the kind words everybody.
Function f(x)

jimilee

That's incredible.how did you make The bottom fit on with that big old cap sticking up?
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

pickdropper

Quote from: jimilee on March 04, 2013, 04:21:58 AM
That's incredible.how did you make The bottom fit on with that big old cap sticking up?

It's the Ge trans, and it doesn't stick out as much as it looks like in the photo.  It is only 0.075" above the bottom of the case.  Since there is a recess in the lid, it doesn't actually hit.
Function f(x)

wolfingsworth

This is none other than a work of art! Once I get a few builds off of my to-do list, I'll start populating my SMT board with those itty bitty components.

Side note: does Mouser carry the correct 9mm pots?

pickdropper

Quote from: wolfingsworth on March 04, 2013, 06:01:25 AM
This is none other than a work of art! Once I get a few builds off of my to-do list, I'll start populating my SMT board with those itty bitty components.

Side note: does Mouser carry the correct 9mm pots?

Yes they do, but they are more expensive there.  I prefer to get them from Small Bear.  Mammoth has some as well, but not my preferred type.
Function f(x)