News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

opamp question

Started by danwelsh, March 01, 2013, 11:43:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

danwelsh

Hi, I have a question regarding opamps...I have an english sustain pcb calling for 2 lm741's  ....I only have one but I also have a bunch of jrc4558s, and also have a lm386n, my question is should i use 2 4558s or the 2 lm chips? I'm going to socket anyway, will it hurt the circuit to interchange and try em?

jubal81

Neither of those will work. Pinouts won't match. In a pinch you could deadbug the 4558. (flip it upside down and solder wires from the pins to the right spot on the board)
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

danwelsh

Quote from: jubal81 on March 01, 2013, 11:53:24 PM
Neither of those will work. Pinouts won't match. In a pinch you could deadbug the 4558. (flip it upside down and solder wires from the pins to the right spot on the board)

Thanks a million

danwelsh

couldn't i wire them up manually....know what i mean, with wires? and match the pinouts, that would work wouldn't it?

alanp

The main issue with regards to 4558/741 interchangeability is that the 4558 is a dual opamp, and the 741 is a single opamp. (The LM386 is something else, but I don't recall. Too much DB Export right now.)
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

RobA

Quote from: danwelsh on March 02, 2013, 03:14:13 AM
couldn't i wire them up manually....know what i mean, with wires? and match the pinouts, that would work wouldn't it?
It depends on the circuit, and I don't know this circuit. The LM741 has offset null pins on it that might be used in a circuit. I can't see any reason that someone would use two single op-amps instead of a dual unless this were the case. Since this is a sustain pedal, it has high gain? This could be a reason for using the offset feature.

If the circuit doesn't use the offset null pins, then you could wire the pins of the dual op-amp to the right locations. You need to either use both of the op-amps on the dual or terminate the unused op-amp on the dual.
Affiliations: Music Unfolding (musicunfolding.com), software based effects and Rock•it Frog (rock.it-frog.com), DIY effects (coming soon).

danwelsh

Quote from: RobA on March 02, 2013, 02:11:11 PM
Quote from: danwelsh on March 02, 2013, 03:14:13 AM
It depends on the circuit, and I don't know this circuit. The LM741 has offset null pins on it that might be used in a circuit. I can't see any reason that someone would use two single op-amps instead of a dual unless this were the case. Since this is a sustain pedal, it has high gain? This could be a reason for using the offset feature.

If the circuit doesn't use the offset null pins, then you could wire the pins of the dual op-amp to the right locations. You need to either use both of the op-amps on the dual or terminate the unused op-amp on the dual.

How would i terminate the op-amp on the dual?

RobA

The proper method and the reasons are talked about in the application note, Op Amps for Everyone, which is a great reference.

Basically, you feed half the supply voltage into the non-inverting input and tie the inverting input to the output. It will eliminate added noise and power consumption from the unused op amp.
Affiliations: Music Unfolding (musicunfolding.com), software based effects and Rock•it Frog (rock.it-frog.com), DIY effects (coming soon).