News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

mudbunny

Started by garfo, February 28, 2013, 09:01:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

juansolo

Quote from: garfo on April 11, 2013, 05:27:57 PM
Ei, back at the mudbunny, I can't put it to workR6, should it be 10 or 18k???

18k for R6
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

neve1272

black arts tone works pharaoh is built on ggg big muff board ( i read on the interweb so it must be true)
that might be mean sounding?

might be worth looking in to
Kip

garfo

R24 is to omit and place a jumper instead.But isn't c15 supposed to be ommited too and place a jumper?
Quote from: juansolo on March 01, 2013, 10:07:12 AM
Quote from: garfo on February 28, 2013, 09:01:43 PM
i want to build a muff,but i don't know which one.i one that is high on gain,beefy but not too muddy either.i want to play stonerrock.i already have a germanium fuzzface but its not strong enough.one that ive built before and liked it with strat was the ggg tuned version.i dont want to go through ggg boards anymore,too much trouble.any suggestion?the kind of sound would be smaching pumpkins style meloncholy.any suggestion?

Only one choice (well two, a real Skreddy ?Lady if you can find one). You will not get a thicker meaner muff that stays well defined.

Requires a little fettling to do on a MB as it has a mids pot. But it's easy enough (showing below).

Details here:

http://juansolo.demon.co.uk/stompage/muffbuild.html

Has a BC109C in Q4. All obtainables in Q1-3. Socket them if you want to experiment as if you can get them, 2SC1327 are the bollocks. Put the highest gain ones in Q2 & 3 if you go with those. Leave the 109 in 4.

garfo

Also, where can I find those transistors 2sc1327???

hammerheadmusicman

Requires a little fettling to do on a MB as it has a mids pot. But it's easy enough (showing below).

[/quote

This reminded me of this..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIbM6c7DW_U
I play Guitar, and Build Stuff..

juansolo

Quote from: garfo on April 19, 2013, 07:37:55 PM

Got some from this blokey: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2SC1327-C1327-Transistors-x-6-PCS-/120687365161?pt=UK_BOI_Electrical_Components_Supplies_ET&hash=item1c19870c29

They're 'T' so mid gain ones. But they still sound really good and are certainly cheap enough for a punt. We were going to buy a shedload from him, but he never got back to us. :( Can't be arsed to chase him about it.

garfo

Yeah, I saw those on ebay, the guy is selling them in the UK, I'll try to contact him and see what happens.
Thank you very much
Quote from: juansolo on April 19, 2013, 10:17:49 PM
Quote from: garfo on April 19, 2013, 07:37:55 PM

Got some from this blokey: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2SC1327-C1327-Transistors-x-6-PCS-/120687365161?pt=UK_BOI_Electrical_Components_Supplies_ET&hash=item1c19870c29

They're 'T' so mid gain ones. But they still sound really good and are certainly cheap enough for a punt. We were going to buy a shedload from him, but he never got back to us. :( Can't be arsed to chase him about it.

greysun

I built a MB mayo (albeit modified) and a violet rams head (I think stock, but may have messed with the ceramic caps).

The mayo's mods were to get a diffused red and a clear red 5mm LED into D1 and D2 (one to rough it up a little, the other to smooth it out some, both to amp up the attack), up the ceramic values to taste (i think mine is at 560pf to add a little clarity/high end), and swap the transistors - all of them were 2n5088 except q4 I left bc550 (the bc550's were a little bass-y to me, but leaving one in allowed for the tone I like). The original Mayo's were designed to sound like siamese dream era pumpkins, so this will get you somewhere around there.

The violet ram's head I left stock (I may have upped those ceramics to 560pf, as well, but I'd have to look later) - it's definitely more of the classic muff sound. Doesn't get the same bottom as the mayo does, but has similar attack (I hope I'm using that word correctly) and great sound - while still smooth like a muff, it's not as smooth as my mayo, but not as muffled either. These are what will get you closer to the dinosaur jr. solo sound, or even a little white stripes-ish when the sustain is cranked.

I recommend either of them - just add the mids mod (a 20-25k pot to R18 (lugs 1 and 3) with a 4k7 resistor between lugs one and 2) and you're golden.

garfo

I'm bulding the superstoner, and I was looking to Juansolo gutshot and only then I realized it was not the same version ;P

juansolo

All the gutshots are in high res on my site :)

selfdestroyer

Quote from: juansolo on April 26, 2013, 05:36:50 PM
All the gutshots are in high res on my site :)

I stumbled across them a few weeks back and have been meaning to thank you. You helped me under stand the Mid knob mod just by looking at your photos.

Thanks for sharing.

garfo

What transistors did you use in this build, I can only identify bc109.Well, I only ask because I want toknow their orientations, I will be using bc549 for Q1, 2sc... for Q2 and Q3 and bc109 for Q4.So, basically my question is, are the 2sc's orientated in the same way as the 549?
i want to build a muff,but i don't know which one.i one that is high on gain,beefy but not too muddy either.i want to play stonerrock.i already have a germanium fuzzface but its not strong enough.one that ive built before and liked it with strat was the ggg tuned version.i dont want to go through ggg boards anymore,too much trouble.any suggestion?the kind of sound would be smaching pumpkins style meloncholy.any suggestion?

Only one choice (well two, a real Skreddy ?Lady if you can find one). You will not get a thicker meaner muff that stays well defined.

Details here:

http://juansolo.demon.co.uk/stompage/muffbuild.html

Has a BC109C in Q4. All obtainables in Q1-3. Socket them if you want to experiment as if you can get them, 2SC1327 are the bollocks. Put the highest gain ones in Q2 & 3 if you go with those. Leave the 109 in 4.

juansolo

Quote from: garfo on May 08, 2013, 05:13:03 PM
What transistors did you use in this build, I can only identify bc109

The one in the demo used the following:

Q1 2N5088
Q2 BC549C
Q3 BC549C
Q4 BC109C

garfo

Good, thank you.Do the 2sc1327 have the same orientation as the bc549?
Quote from: juansolo on May 08, 2013, 05:16:06 PM
Quote from: garfo on May 08, 2013, 05:13:03 PM
What transistors did you use in this build, I can only identify bc109

The one in the demo used the following:

Q1 2N5088
Q2 BC549C
Q3 BC549C
Q4 BC109C

juansolo

Same orientation IIRC, but they'll need some legs twisting