News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Vector graphic question

Started by ch1naski, February 26, 2013, 11:13:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ch1naski

I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around vector graphics. Even the tutorials I've watched leave me slightly baffled.
After importing an image (let's say, a jpg), how do I start selecting different parts of it so that I can move them around,  or transform them? The whole "layers" and group thing...I can't seem to grasp it.
Any help from one of you wizards would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,  Curt.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
one louder.

jubal81

It depends mostly on what software you're using. Start searching for videos based on the name of the software. There's a walkthrough for everything.

Vector graphics are mathematical equations, not pixels. If you start with a picture (pixels) the first thing you have to do is convert it to a path. Illustrator can do this pretty well on its own. Last time I used Inkscape you had to draw it yourself.
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

2tonewarrior

Unfortunately making vectors out of pixels is hard (if you want a perfect conversion) As jubal81 said Illustrator has an automatic conversion with some nice presets plus a control panel for advance converting. Usually if you convert a simple image is better to do by your own. For middle complex I usually do my own with different tools but you need to learn some basic controls and tools and It´s not easy for someone who has no experience. If you want a convert a complex image I would recommend transform it in photoshop who is easier and the import to illustrator to do the automatically job there. Anyway the automatic mode of illustrator make a lot of layers based on contact points and a mess of anchor points so its difficult if you want to transform it. Anyway you have to try different methods and choose the best way for each situation. If you dint mind it would be good to tell us what image are you trying to convert in order to find the better solution to do the job.

crashguitar

If you are using Inkscape, there is a trace function under he path menu. It takes a little work to get it to trace well and even then you will need to do some clean-up. I have gotten some pretty decent results by starting a trac as black and white and then adding olo myself.

Chad

ch1naski

Well, I dont currently have adobe apps. But, Adobe cs2 is free now, hopefully it will suffice. I'm dying to make a nice-looking decal for a couple of builds. And some etch designs, too.
one louder.

ch1naski

So....
I tried using the Inkscape trace function on a simple black and white image of a stencil graphic. I see what you mean about that. It will take a bit of work to get it right.

In the meantime, I stayed up late and downloaded Adobe cs2. Toyed with it just briefly, and so far, I'm lost. :P

I must be getting old. When I was younger, I picked up on this kind of stuff intuitively.  Now I feel like I'm trying to decipher Sanskrit.

one louder.

ch1naski

Thanks for the help, guys. I've made a bit of progress. Thanks to you.

one louder.