News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Couple questions before I get started

Started by billstein, February 26, 2013, 10:22:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

billstein

1. Do you clip the legs off of components after you finish soldering or before? I always did it after and just read that can mess up the joint. How do you do it?

2. Do you tin the boards you etch or does it really matter?

3. Do you use a magnifying lamp? If so any suggestions on which one to get?

4. When drilling out a box, do you hold it in your hands like in one video I saw or do you clamp it down. If so what do you use to clamp it down first?

Thanks guys. I really appreciate your help.

Guitar Master

1) After, just make sure the joint is good in the first place and you should be fine.

2) It doesn't really matter. If you have a fabricated board you really don't need to tin it.

3) I personally do not. I do have a helping hand with a magnifying glass on it though.

4) I have a vise that I use, just make sure to put wood on the sides to not damage the finish!!! Most people use a drill press around here too, I think. I do it by hand.

I hope this helps. I am new too, and the best way to learn is to ask questions!

pedalman

Quote from: billstein on February 26, 2013, 10:22:34 PM
1. Do you clip the legs off of components after you finish soldering or before? I always did it after and just read that can mess up the joint. How do you do it?

2. Do you tin the boards you etch or does it really matter?

3. Do you use a magnifying lamp? If so any suggestions on which one to get?

4. When drilling out a box, do you hold it in your hands like in one video I saw or do you clamp it down. If so what do you use to clamp it down first?

Thanks guys. I really appreciate your help.
After, make sure you have a strong & shiny solder joint
Liquid Tin is worth its weight in gold
i got a Lowes clamp on lighted mag lamp. Works great
if you clamp the box, place a block of wood in it thicker than the box. this will prevent crushing / denting.
i usually predrill all holes with a 1/8" bit then take it up to 1/4" then use a step drill. no clamps
most importantly, take your time, small steps and have fun.
we are all here to help you

I mod cheap guitars because my local music store said not to.

alanp

I've been holding my enclosures in a woodwork vice, with some thick foam stuff on the sides (similar texture to wetsuit stuff... don't know the name of it). I then use a handheld drill, seems to work okay. After a while, holding it damn close to vertical becomes easy.

Punch all the holes with a centerpunch tool (I use an old roofing nail), then drill them out with pilot holes (don't need a big one, 3-4mm will do). I find that drilling ALL the holes with the drill bits works out well, stopping drilling holes as they get to the size I want. For example, on the front face, this means that the stomp switch gets a pilot drill, then a 5.5mm LED drill, then toggle switch, then pot, then finally the big 12mm drill bit. This means you don't sit there swearing at it for ages waiting for it to cut a lot of metal at once.

I am not a professional metalworker, so I'd take anyone else's advice over mine.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

raulduke

Quote from: alanp on February 27, 2013, 04:21:15 AM

I've been holding my enclosures in a woodwork vice, with some thick foam stuff on the sides (similar texture to wetsuit stuff... don't know the name of it). I then use a handheld drill, seems to work okay. After a while, holding it damn close to vertical becomes easy.

Punch all the holes with a centerpunch tool (I use an old roofing nail), then drill them out with pilot holes (don't need a big one, 3-4mm will do). I find that drilling ALL the holes with the drill bits works out well, stopping drilling holes as they get to the size I want. For example, on the front face, this means that the stomp switch gets a pilot drill, then a 5.5mm LED drill, then toggle switch, then pot, then finally the big 12mm drill bit. This means you don't sit there swearing at it for ages waiting for it to cut a lot of metal at once.

I am not a professional metalworker, so I'd take anyone else's advice over mine.

This is very good advice...

Start with a punch, then pilot hole (3mm) then work your way up through the drill bit sizes for all holes.

e.g. the next size up for me on my builds is 6.4mm for the LED bezel, which I drill all the holes with.

Just remember to pay attention and not drill any holes too big (I have done this too many times  :-[ :D)

billstein

Thanks guys. Another question though.

Just got my first pre-fabbed board. Do you do anything special to prepare it for soldering. Acetone etc?

DutchMF

Nope, the fabbed boards are good to go! Some people clean up the solder side after building, which is probably a good idea. To be honest, I've never done that, and never had any problems. But I still think it's a good idea....  ;D

Paul
"If you can't stand the heat, stay away from the soldering iron!"

gingataff

for a magnifier I user the headband type from stewmac, the one leds. really glad I bought it, great quality and the price is decent.

Sent from my SC-02B using Tapatalk 2