News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

I know this is opposite to the usual angle of this question but..

Started by hammerheadmusicman, February 25, 2013, 01:12:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hammerheadmusicman

...goop, what do I use?

I have. A meeting with a rep of a big company regarding some designs I have done, the company are distributors not manufacturers, but I still want to be as safe as I can.

Soo, what should I use to do the 'gooping' I had a friends hotcake open the other day and it seemed to be like the stuff you seal around a bath with, like rubbery.

It felt like it was something like this.

http://www.wickes.co.uk/kitchen+bathroom-sealant-black-310ml/invt/214519/?source=123_74

Thanks

George
I play Guitar, and Build Stuff..

hammerheadmusicman

Have you used that stuff before at all? My worst nightmare would be to pour something on and it be conductive ;)

gtr2

That stuff gets REALLY HOT.  I use those underground splice kits at work and would not use them in a pedal.

I'm against goop, but either way, if you can't trust the distributer why would you do business with them?

Josh
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

raulduke

I would stay away from goop personally.

If one of your pedals is returned for repair you will most likely have to swap out the whole PCB.

hammerheadmusicman

yeah i know, about not getting into bed with people you can't trust etc.. but i haven't had my first meeting with these guys yet, so i don't know what the score is, i juts want to protect myself for the first part. I am usually really against gooping, and almost definitely won't be gooping 'production' models. infact when i'm ready i was going to post the stuff here, with etching layouts etc.. it's not so the DIY community don't get their grubby mits on it, As i too am one of said people with grubby mits ;)

midwayfair

If all you're doing is temporarily hiding stuff from view, just get some putty and stick it over the circuit board. It's completely removable and won't damage anything. If it's going to be out of your hands ...

Here's my thought. If they like your designs, and they're a reputable company, they won't wager their reputation on a single design. It's just bad business. You'd tell other people, and they'll get one non-proprietary design, and no more work out of you or anyone else.

hammerheadmusicman

What kind of putty are we talking about John? Blu-tack type stuff?

Micpoc

You could always redesign the boards so they're three or four layer, like Fairfield Circuitry's work... should make it that much harder to copy.

slimtriggers

Or you could use Liquid Tape to cover up the component values and such.  That's nasty, smelly stuff, though.

culturejam

You could use "conformal coating" spray. Or if you're in a hurry, just use some kind of non-metallic spray paint.

I, too, think this might be a bad idea. If these potential partners crack open the case and see the goop, they are probably going to ask you why it's there. You can either come up with some load of crap (like a boutiquer would do) or you can be honest and say "I don't trust you." Either option is bad.

I would go the exact opposite way. Walk in there with a schematic and hand it to them with the pedal. Let them know you have your ducks in a row already. Since you're going to post it here anyway, what's the harm? And it might impress and/or intimidate them, which is always cool.  ;D
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

stevie1556

I've got a pot of this rubber stuff at home, it's designed to dip things into to form a protective rubber coating. It's also designed for use with circuit boards. I can't remember ways it's called but I'll look when I get home. I bought it for the back of pots so they don't short out on the circuit board.

I remember seeing the promo video, they sealed an iphone with it, and then used it under water!

Sent from my thumbs using Tapatalk!

midwayfair

Quote from: culturejam on February 26, 2013, 02:40:22 AMor you can be honest and say "I don't trust you." Either option is bad.

And just to belabor this point: coming from a position of mistrust is absolute POISON in a negotiation. You have to sort this out before you get into any discussions with them.

jubal81

Quote from: culturejam on February 26, 2013, 02:40:22 AM
I would go the exact opposite way. Walk in there with a schematic and hand it to them with the pedal. Let them know you have your ducks in a row already. Since you're going to post it here anyway, what's the harm? And it might impress and/or intimidate them, which is always cool.  ;D

This is some very good advice. I'd put together a big, very professional "project portfolio" with every bit of info you can put together on it.
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

stevie1556

This is the stuff I was on about in my last post. However, going in with a big portfolio does seem like a good idea.

Sent from my thumbs using Tapatalk!