News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

David Gilmour Mudbunny

Started by ncdb07, February 24, 2013, 04:09:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ncdb07

Hi - I have an Uncle who is a Davis Gilmour fan who just started playing guitar again after 15 years or more. I would like to surprise him with a clone or close copy of what David Gilmour used for his dirty sound.

I have seen references to modifications in parts lists to achieve this, but have never seen an actual parts list.

I would appreciate any help in a point in the right direction.

Thanks in advance,

ncdb07
Daniel
ncdb07
Daniel

jkokura

Gilmour definitely used a variety of Muffs over the years. Often they were modded, and he sorted through some to get the sound he wanted. There's a few articles about it out there in the internet land.

A ram's head is a good place to start.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

RobA

This site has a list of what pedals he used during different albums and periods, http://www.gilmourish.com/?page_id=205

This page lists Big Muffs per period and gives reviews of their favorite clones and such, http://www.gilmourish.com/?page_id=3389.

The interesting thing to me is that the classic albums (pre Wall) are mostly silicon Fuzz Faces and not Big Muffs. So, depending on which era you are going for, the Fuzz Face based on BC108's might be a better place to look.

The first Big Muff clone I did is a Ram's Head parts list with some toggles for the diodes. The center settings takes the diodes completely out. This setting with the tone control flat sounds to me to be closer to Gilmour's early distortion than it does with any other mods I've tried. This kinda indicates to me again that the straight silicon fuzz face circuit may be the closer match.

Affiliations: Music Unfolding (musicunfolding.com), software based effects and Rockā€¢it Frog (rock.it-frog.com), DIY effects (coming soon).

juansolo

It's almost impossible to recommend the right ones as they all vary so much. They changed parts so often that they're all different, even the same models. Plus you're unlikely to be able to source the correct transistors in the right gain range. Without being able to take apart DGs actual pedals, we're all guessing.

However there are some out there that aim to get DG's tone on certain albums. The P19 is aiming for his solo tone on The Wall for example does a really good job. I'd personally go for this first if that's the sort of thing you're wanting.

Quote from: RobA on February 24, 2013, 06:37:59 AMThe interesting thing to me is that the classic albums (pre Wall) are mostly silicon Fuzz Faces and not Big Muffs. So, depending on which era you are going for, the Fuzz Face based on BC108's might be a better place to look.

This too, and Skreddy once again comes to the rescue with the Lunar Module for that. Again, not the same thing, but aiming for the same sound.
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

pryde

I put up a quick demo of the mudbunny built to Skreddy P19 specs. It might be what you are after. Nevermind the sloppy play but the demo gives you an idea tonewise:

http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=8478.0

ncdb07

Wow! Thanks for all the replies guys! You have all been very helpful and informative. I never realized there was so much info about Gilmour's gear.

I should have been more specific about the tone I wanted to capture. The solo tone on The Wall is what I am looking to recreate.

The Skreddy P-19 version of the Big Muff/Mudbunny sounds great! Exactly what I was looking for!

I have one more question. I would also like to do a delay for my Uncle to go with this. I currently have an unfinished Dirtbag delay, and an unfinished Sea Urchin delay. Would either one of those get close to a Gilmour type delay, or would the Multiplex Echo from 1776 effects be better? Or maybe another option?

Thanks again guys! This has to be the friendliest forum on the internet!

ncdb07
Daniel
ncdb07
Daniel

jkokura

I seem to recall Gilmour used a variety of delays, but the Echo Plex was a commonly used Delay in that era in studios. The Dirtbag is going to be a straight up awesome analog delay, but it's a bit different than a tape delay. The Sea Urchin is Analog voiced, but digital technology still. The Multi Plex is actually a digital delay too, same as the urchin, but it's voiced to be tape delay like.

My suggestion is build what you have in front of you, then if that's not working try the Multi Plex.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

pedalman

id be looking at beans new delay "Zero point SDX" endless delay options with modulation. sure the bending thing sounds like david, but if david knew you wernt bending with your fingers he would crown you one. Modulation is what id go for
I mod cheap guitars because my local music store said not to.

pickdropper

For day to day stuff, I use a screwdriver into a sea urchin and it can get very Gilmourish.  The lunar module works well too.  I prefer most of those to a muff for that sound, but I haven't built a P19 yet.

As others have said. There are a bunch of options that would probably work.  I think Gilmour could get his sound of out most of them.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

ncdb07

I think I will work on finishing the ones I have started and branch out from there.

Sometimes just ordering boards and sourcing parts is as much fun as the actual builds! I have about 8 projects that are populated waiting on enclosures,knobs, and various hardware. I am still always looking for something else to build!

Since these are for my Uncle I thought it would give me more incentive to finish some things.

Thanks again for everyone's advice!

ncdb07
Daniel

ncdb07
Daniel

garfo

I was looking for he P19 and I didn't find it on the projects.Does it go under other name by any chance?
Quote from: juansolo on February 24, 2013, 09:44:52 AM
It's almost impossible to recommend the right ones as they all vary so much. They changed parts so often that they're all different, even the same models. Plus you're unlikely to be able to source the correct transistors in the right gain range. Without being able to take apart DGs actual pedals, we're all guessing.

However there are some out there that aim to get DG's tone on certain albums. The P19 is aiming for his solo tone on The Wall for example does a really good job. I'd personally go for this first if that's the sort of thing you're wanting.

Quote from: RobA on February 24, 2013, 06:37:59 AMThe interesting thing to me is that the classic albums (pre Wall) are mostly silicon Fuzz Faces and not Big Muffs. So, depending on which era you are going for, the Fuzz Face based on BC108's might be a better place to look.

This too, and Skreddy once again comes to the rescue with the Lunar Module for that. Again, not the same thing, but aiming for the same sound.

ncdb07

Quote from: garfo on February 26, 2013, 07:21:07 PM
I was looking for he P19 and I didn't find it on the projects.Does it go under other name by any chance?

They are referring to building the Madbean Mudbunny project to Skreddy P-19 specs. You have to substitute the parts from the list on this pagehttp://juansolo.demon.co.uk/stompage/Muffs.htm

Hope this helps!

ncdb07
Daniel
ncdb07
Daniel

garfo