News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

This reboxed dd-5 looks pretty cool.

Started by REPTAR, February 21, 2013, 08:39:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

REPTAR

Using pickguard material seems like a cool way to get some new looks on future pedals.

hammerheadmusicman

looks pretty cool. I wonder if laser etching would work on that stuff. if you could etch it down to the black, it'd look awesome!
I play Guitar, and Build Stuff..

pickdropper

Quote from: hammerheadmusicman on February 21, 2013, 09:53:52 PM
looks pretty cool. I wonder if laser etching would work on that stuff. if you could etch it down to the black, it'd look awesome!

I wonder, too.  My fear is that it would leave a melted appearance as a lot of plastics like that do.  If you reduced the power level and properly dialed in the speed and frequency (likely set low) of the etch it might work.  I bet it would take a decent number of passes, though.

You'd need to make sure it isn't vinyl as some are.  I don't know about all lasers but the one I use can't do vinyl as the fumes from cutting ruin the laser.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

patrickbrose

Use a pointed router style bit on a dremel with the flat router base. Freehand is tough, but you could build a template and go from there. You'd be surprised how fine of a line you can do with one of those and a bit of practice.
-P

hammerheadmusicman

Quote from: pickdropper on February 21, 2013, 10:36:05 PM

I wonder, too.  My fear is that it would leave a melted appearance as a lot of plastics like that do.  If you reduced the power level and properly dialed in the speed and frequency (likely set low) of the etch it might work.  I bet it would take a decent number of passes, though.

You'd need to make sure it isn't vinyl as some are.  I don't know about all lasers but the one I use can't do vinyl as the fumes from cutting ruin the laser.

should we expect to see a work of art etched into a strat scratchplate any time soon then? ;)

pickdropper

Quote from: hammerheadmusicman on February 21, 2013, 10:54:09 PM
Quote from: pickdropper on February 21, 2013, 10:36:05 PM

should we expect to see a work of art etched into a strat scratchplate any time soon then? ;)

Likely not.  It's a cool idea, but I don't have the stock here and I suspect I can't etch it.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

wolfingsworth

Scratchplate> pickgaurd. Never heard that name for it, but I like it better ;D

hammerheadmusicman

Never heard scratch plate? Think it's an English thing..