Previous topic - Next topic

trickpony

Just noticed another thread that mentions this so:

The orientation of q2 and q3 on the pcb is for which Transistor

I believe:
The pinout for 2sk30 is DGS
The pinout for 2n5457 is DSG

It seems to me from the schematic that the pcb has is oriented for the 2n5457

If that is correct then I am really confused because I have what I think are 2sk30...marked K30A and they are working stuck in as DSG...errrrgh

trickpony

Ok, I subbed in the 2n5457s and I diode checked the 2sk30s...
They have the expected pinouts.

With the 2n5457s the sound has changed to be much more controlled and the breakdown of the lower octaves is much less pronounced. So I am guessing that my 2sk30s were (because of the wrong pinout) just blasting gate open all the time....

Did anyone else make this mistake in their build?

RobA

I socketed the JFET's in my build because I wasn't sure of why the pinout on the board was set for. So, I stuffed the 2SK30's in both ways. For me, with the 2SK30's in with the wrong pins, it was pretty much the same as playing it with nothing in the sockets at all. The lower octaves were there, but very muddy and weak. I tried it with both 2N5457's and 2SK30's with twisted legs. I thought they were both nice, but I did prefer the 2SK30's.
Affiliations: Music Unfolding (musicunfolding.com), software based effects and Rockā€¢it Frog (rock.it-frog.com), DIY effects (coming soon).

trickpony

Actually, Brian you might want to change the instructions to have 2n5457 as the default and mention the 2sk30s could be used with different pinout, or something like that. Otherwise robot builders like myself (;-)) will continue to make this mistake.

Ben