News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Fat Pants (Pre-fab board)

Started by gtr2, December 19, 2010, 01:26:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gtr2

Plain old stock "Fat Pants" in a 1590A.  Easy build, should have been done in a quick night project  ::)

I tested the board before entry, sounded great!  Put the board in, wired everything up, and then there was nothing but some crackling (not ok  :D)  Took everything out and this time it didn't work hooked up to the testing rig.  Anyways, I had one of the pcb solder joints crack under the handling pressure from mounting.

LED is a flat top blue 5mm, color is PPP prismatic black, knob from mammoth.

Sounds "sparkly" too.

And the obligatory gut shot...  ;)
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

FuzzMonkey

Nice work. I've just got a couple of enclosures for PPP, one is for my Zombii build that I plan to get done over the holiday season.

nzCdog

Gorgeous looking pedal and great job on the tight fit... those small enclosures must be a real challenge

gtr2

Thanks, the 1590a's are a bit of a pain.  But you should check out the 1590a thread on another build forum.  It's amazing what guys can fit in them.
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

night-B

Im looking for such paint in spraycan. Where have you found it?

gtr2

Sorry, I don't know.  I bought it painted from pedal parts plus.   :)
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

stevewire

Great job gtr.  I just received my pcb yesterday and finished my build last night of the Fat Pants.  I tried it in a 1290.  I couldn't crank it up too loud last night, but I kept a/b-ing it with my Slambox (finished last week in a 1590a).  I can't figure out which I like more.  I am going to need some stage volume to decide.  I think one or both of these pedals might have kicked the Timmy off my board.  I only use the Timmy for a clean boost and I think I just might like these two better for that.  I could be speaking too early, but I do like the Fat Pants.   

gtr2

Just an update on my thoughts of the Fat Pants for those skimming threads for build reports and feedback.

This build actually set on my shelf after the build.  It didn't really seem to add anything that I needed on my board.  My main guitar I was using was a LP standard w/burstbuckers.

The other day I saw the fatpants on my shelf looking at me.  So I plugged a "relic" partscaster tele I just built into the fatpants and into the amp.  It really added to the "fatness" of the guitar.  It sounded much better with the telecaster than with the LP.

Just my two cents...

Josh
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

Myramyd

Hey Josh,

I agree--I just started using it on Strat songs where I use single coils and it really adds something to those. Especially the more clean or light OD type of sounds. It actually makes them sound more "Strat-y" to me.  :P

I don't really like it as much with humbuckers either for some reason. I think the amp/overdrive has something to do with that though. With my setup it doesn't add anything for heavy drive HB sounds.

J

vinnie

Hey it is an awesome build!!! all very tidy in that small room, where did you get this enclosure?

bigmufffuzzwizz

Owner and operator of Magic Pedals