News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

DC Jack Wiring Help

Started by Haberdasher, May 04, 2010, 12:59:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Haberdasher

Ok, I feel a little silly asking this, because it seems like I could have found an answer to this by googling.  That didn't work out.  So maybe me asking this here will help another noob later on.
I'm working on the neutrino.
I'm having trouble figuring out which lugs get which wires.  Since the jack is turned sideways in the following diagram, I can't tell what's what.
I think the black ground goes to the lug that is turned a different direction (bottom left in lower pic).  Is that correct?
Now what about the other 2 wires?  Thanks

Here's a pic of the actual jack.
Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

madbean

the one with the bent tab is the sleeve. The one at the very top is the tip, and the middle one is thr ring. Have fun!

andywragg

I've just stumbled upon this post. Been trying to figure out the connections here for the last 2 nights. My understanding is that pedal PSU's are centre pin negative @ 9v. Looking at the diagram and following the description above, doesnt this result in a short? Or am I lost in translation? 

madbean

When a 2.1mm plug is inserted in the jack, it disconnects the ring and power comes from its tip. When removed, the tip is disconnected and if there is a battery installed the two rings (the dc jack and input jack) complete the circuit and carry power to the board.

andywragg

A-ha,

The penny has dropped. The centre pin is the sleeve, the tip is the sprung contact, and the ring is the bit that the + battery snap goes to. Sorted!

Dixie_Crap

I am in a similar boat at the moment, I have now completed a Slambox and a Zombii, both of which I am absolutely thrilled with! However I tried to run them from the DC jack for the first time last night and nothing...

I can only assume that I have the DC jack wired wrong.
Can anyone shed some light on the correct way in which to wire these jacks?

Picture from DoctorTweek's (hope you don't mid Steve)

Cheers,

Phil

mgwhit

You can figure this out with a multimeter in about 30 seconds.  If the jack is already wired into your circuit, disconnect the battery.  Now with the DC jack unplugged, test continuity between the leads.  The lead without continuity to either of the others is the sleeve (ground).  Now plug in the DC jack and test for VDC between the sleeve lead (ground) and each of the two remaining leads.  The lead with 9VDC on it is the tip, and the one with 0 VDC on it is the ring.  Good luck!

cjkbug

Quote from: Dixie_Crap on July 22, 2011, 11:14:12 AM
I am in a similar boat at the moment, I have now completed a Slambox and a Zombii, both of which I am absolutely thrilled with! However I tried to run them from the DC jack for the first time last night and nothing...

I can only assume that I have the DC jack wired wrong.
Can anyone shed some light on the correct way in which to wire these jacks?

Picture from DoctorTweek's (hope you don't mid Steve)

Cheers,

Phil
you can't use those metal jacks unless it's in a plastic enclosure. they are not insulated and will short against the metal case. I made the mistake of trying those when I first started building. you are better off sticking with the plastic jacks or batteries.
I got blisters on my fingers!!!

Dixie_Crap

Quoteyou can't use those metal jacks unless it's in a plastic enclosure. they are not insulated and will short against the metal case. I made the mistake of trying those when I first started building. you are better off sticking with the plastic jacks or batteries.

Bugger!

I've already drilled two enclosures with those... At least I only have to drill out a bit more to get those plastic ones in, better than if it were the other way round!

Thanks guys!

jimmybjj

Quote from: Dixie_Crap on July 22, 2011, 01:18:10 PM
Quoteyou can't use those metal jacks unless it's in a plastic enclosure. they are not insulated and will short against the metal case. I made the mistake of trying those when I first started building. you are better off sticking with the plastic jacks or batteries.

Bugger!

I've already drilled two enclosures with those... At least I only have to drill out a bit more to get those plastic ones in, better than if it were the other way round!

Thanks guys!

Yeah, i made the same mistake. I bought 20 of them and drilled a couple of enclosures as you did. Since i drilled the enclosures i decided to "make" them work. The reason they don't work is because they are not insulated. I used to heat shrink tubing and neoprene washers to insulate the jack. It worked, but all that work was a PITA. I ended up only using 2 for the enclosures i drilled. I gave to the rest to a friend. It was way to much work to get them going, but it is possible.
Pcbs no longer available