News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Fatpants v2 - fat pot maxing out..

Started by hammerheadmusicman, January 31, 2013, 07:22:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hammerheadmusicman

So, I built one for a couple of guys after they heard mine.. But theirs both do this thing where the fat pot gets to about 90% of the travel , then the woody noise stops and its not as fat.. No subs etc,..

Any ideas?

George
I play Guitar, and Build Stuff..

midwayfair

Quote from: hammerheadmusicman on January 31, 2013, 07:22:18 PM
So, I built one for a couple of guys after they heard mine.. But theirs both do this thing where the fat pot gets to about 90% of the travel , then the woody noise stops and its not as fat.. No subs etc,..

Any ideas?

George

Does the volume continue to get louder?

Did you bias it with the Fat at max, switch off?

hammerheadmusicman

The Volume continues to get louder, but then drops off and looses a touch of fatness and a slight bit of volume, I was under  the impression it was set to 17k, then tweak by ear. Which is what i have always done.

george

GermanCdn

My recent build did the same thing, tweaked it out with the bias trimpot, everything's golden now.
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

madbean

A woody or hollow noise usually indicates a mis-biased transistor. What voltage reading do you get on the drain of the J201?

hammerheadmusicman

I'm away for a couple of days, thus can't measure one at the moment, but i thought the wooody (crackle ok ish) kinda noise was supposed to be there?

Thanks

George