News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Output Resistors?

Started by MullisMan, January 31, 2013, 02:03:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MullisMan

I have a question regarding output resistors on circuits.  Just looking at the Bacon Bits booster as an example, what is the purpose for the voltage divider of R7 and R8?  Output signal limiting?  Even further, what about when a buffer is used on the output like in the Quasar? If you have a buffered output with a low impedance, what is the thinking in placing more resistors after it?

I wondered if it had something to do with supplying a load to the amplifier, but that still didn't make sense to me.  I probably need to delve more into my electronics textbooks to find this out but sometimes it's hard to know where to start.

Thanks for any help.

midwayfair

It does limit the signal, but it can also helps prevent switch pops, which may depend on the next thing in the signal chain. Both the 10K and the 1K in the bacon bits are doing this, together and apart.

MullisMan

So in this situation we're looking at the 100K resistor as an output pulldown, but what about the 1K? How is that reducing switch pops?

Thanks again.

oldhousescott

The 1k output resistor can prevent damage to the opamp in case of a short circuit on the output.