News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

ROG Tri-Vibe

Started by slimtriggers, January 30, 2013, 01:45:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

slimtriggers

My first modulation effect.  I've seen a few of these around lately, and I've really dug the demos I've heard of it.  Since there's no fiddly biasing or JFET matching, I thought I'd give it a shot.  I'm glad I did :)

Man, this layout just barely fit in a 125b, I was worried I'd have to go up to a 1590bb.  I sanded the board right down to the very edge of the ground trace, though, and I got it stuffed in there.

For some reason the font on the ROG build document reminded me of the Rocketeer, so I went with that theme.  The graphic is a toner transfer with a spray can clear coat.  The LED in his gun pulses to the LFO speed.  At higher settings it looks like he's shooting a machine gun 8)

Only have iPod pics right now, sorry.

(changed the LM13700 to an LM13600 prior to boxing)

Tight fit. 

televisiondown

Excellent! I have a tri-vibe board ready to go...just waiting on the parts. Where did you get the LM13600? I only found an LM13700. Love your design and LED placement, too.
"Be more constructive with your feedback, please" ~Jemaine Clement

stecykmi

nice, the tri vibe is a cool effect. home etch?

slimtriggers

Quote from: stecykmi on January 30, 2013, 02:01:02 AM
nice, the tri vibe is a cool effect. home etch?

Yeah.  I guess I'm weird, but I kinda like etching and drilling boards.  Definitely prefer soldering on fabbed boards, though.

Quote from: televisiondown on January 30, 2013, 01:59:53 AM
Excellent! I have a tri-vibe board ready to go...just waiting on the parts. Where did you get the LM13600? I only found an LM13700. Love your design and LED placement, too.
Thanks!  I got the LM13600 at Tayda.

midwayfair

Awesome etch, and one of my favorite circuits. Nothing else sounds quite like it, and the vibrato setting alone is incredible. I think this will be ROG's crowning acheivement for years to come. Even more surprising is that it hasn't (to my knowledge) been stolen by any booteekers.

pickdropper

That is a great looking pedal.  Very nice etch.

I am curious about the Tri-Vibe and hope to give it a go one of these days.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

jkokura

loved that movie when I was a kid!

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

slimtriggers

Quote from: midwayfair on January 30, 2013, 02:37:24 AM
Awesome etch, and one of my favorite circuits. Nothing else sounds quite like it, and the vibrato setting alone is incredible. I think this will be ROG's crowning acheivement for years to come. Even more surprising is that it hasn't (to my knowledge) been stolen by any booteekers.

Yes, it's really a great sounding vibrato.  And despite the ROG complexity rating, it's really a fairly easy build.  I'd rate it as "cowboy" on the Madbean scale :)  The only negative with it so far is that it can be a bit noisy with a couple of drive pedals after it.  You can hear the woosh-woosh of the LFO when you stop playing.  That's only with a fair amount of drive, though. 

It's definitely worth building, for sure 8)

stecykmi

Quote from: slimtriggers on January 30, 2013, 03:31:17 AM
Quote from: midwayfair on January 30, 2013, 02:37:24 AM

Yes, it's really a great sounding vibrato.  And despite the ROG complexity rating, it's really a fairly easy build.  I'd rate it as "cowboy" on the Madbean scale :)  The only negative with it so far is that it can be a bit noisy with a couple of drive pedals after it.  You can hear the woosh-woosh of the LFO when you stop playing.  That's only with a fair amount of drive, though. 

It's definitely worth building, for sure 8)

i'd say it's a must build! i don't say that about too many pedals.

the only thing that makes it tricky is the OTA makes it a bit harder to debug (compared to, say, an opamp).

jimilee

That's very cool,I love the creativity
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

wolfingsworth

What a great build! Those graphics look so good on that bare metal it hurts!

juansolo

It really is a unique sounding thing and can get really leslie-ish. Love them.
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

angrykoko

Nice, Like the graphics.
The perfectly square green wima sitting in the middle just makes me smile for some reason.

Cool build

Koko
The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese in the trap.

gtr2

1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

slimtriggers

Quote from: angrykoko on January 30, 2013, 11:14:14 AM
Nice, Like the graphics.
The perfectly square green wima sitting in the middle just makes me smile for some reason.

Cool build

Koko

Yeah, I was freaking out that I didn't have a smaller cap.  Fortunately there's a big empty space right in the middle of that layout, and it fit right in  8)