News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

how hard is it to build a delay?

Started by randel_07, December 16, 2010, 05:00:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

randel_07

i was just wondering?
what makes building a delay more difficult than overdrives and fuzzes?

jkokura

Nothing really. It's the same components and build requirements. Delay pedals often have more parts than your average overdrive though, which might be why people would say they're harder to build.

Two beginner delay pedal builds I highly recommend are the Rebote 2.5, and the Echobase. The Rebote is a tonepad circuit, and the Echobase was developed by the user Slacker at the DIY Stompboxes site, and is available as a PCB from the user Taylor at the same forum. I think his website is called Music PCB, and you can purchase the Echobase board there.

I haven't built the Aquaboy from here, but it's an analog delay whereas the previous two I've mentioned are digital based on the PT2399 delay chip. I will be building the Aquaboy soon, and will compare it to the other delays in my arsenal.

I'm a bit of a delay junkie, and I think delay is the most common type of DIY pedal I own!

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

stecykmi

I think delays are more difficult to build because they have more circuit blocks that aren't directly related to carrying signal (ie, the clock, the LFO, etc). The circuit path is also less linear because of feedback and stuff.

I would say they are more difficult overall, but not impossible for beginners.

B_of_H

a rebote is just a little more complicated than an overdrive due to more parts.  an analog delay is a different story. 

randel_07

hm i guess i'll just stick with buying delays other people make then

ckyvick

If its a digital delay you wont have anything to worry about, an analog delay might take a while to build. However, someone built the analog delay at byoc and mentioned it was their first build and it worked perfectly fine ;)

night-B

Dont be afraid to build one, you'll be pleased and you will improve your skills :)

jiffy

My 2nd build was a MN3005 DM-2 clone, it worked perfectly first time and I had no problems. They generally just have a lot more parts etc than simple distortion/od's. They are super fun when you get them working.