News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Let's do monthly contests for 2013

Started by madbean, January 29, 2013, 04:17:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

madbean

It's way past time to have another build contest here. But, rather than doing a months long thing with a huge prize at the end, I think I would prefer a monthly one with a prize of store credit awarded to the winner.
There are so many amazing builders here now, I think this will be a very fun and rewarding way to keep folks coming here. I'm just constantly blown away by the quality of work being shown!

I can put the mechanics of this together pretty easily with a dedicated forum, rules, submission guidelines, etc. But, here's what I'm not sure of: should the winner be decided by vote or by a panel of judges? What do you think is the best approach?

Stomptown

I think it would be fun to let everyone vote. Maybe accept submissions for first three weeks and use last week for voting? Just an idea...

Scruffie

It's been a while but do we really need to wait 90 years for the next one?  ;D

Voting could mean favourtism for certan builders where as judges can be more impartial and do it on merit.
I'd happily help judge as I wont be posting any pretty builds  :) if any.

Good idea anyway, month long ones always mean everyone rushing to get builds in and then being dissapointed where a month by month basis continues to give the chance as people build and not feel they're going to loose out on a specific prize compared to a fun reward for there work.
Works at Lectric-FX

whitebread47

I like this idea a lot.  Having it where people vote for their favorite build would be cool, since even folks who don't have a build in the contest can participate in some way, but I do understand Scruffie's point as well.
Blake

"I don't think people are looking for the meaning of life as much as they are looking for the experience of being alive." - Joseph Campbell

juansolo

Quote from: Scruffie on January 29, 2013, 04:25:34 PM

lol! Gives us all time to make something totally epic!
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

madbean

Scruffie

Quote from: juansolo on January 29, 2013, 04:30:45 PM
Quote from: Scruffie on January 29, 2013, 04:25:34 PM

lol! Gives us all time to make something totally epic!
Diecast aluminium swirly painted coffin with 1/4" & XLR Outs and an LED border?
Works at Lectric-FX

juansolo

I now desperately want coffin shaped hammond enclosures... *rubs chin*
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

DutchMF

This could be nice, but I think pickdropper would win every month, seen his Victorinox?  ;D
"If you can't stand the heat, stay away from the soldering iron!"

Haberdasher

Quote from: DutchMF on January 29, 2013, 04:40:14 PM
This could be nice, but I think pickdropper would win every month, seen his Victorinox?  ;D
haha, no doubt...he or juansolo every time.  there should probably be a rule that states the same guy can't win more than 2x annually or something.
Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

midwayfair

I think a public vote with a weighted judge vote for the moderators.

It's going to be hard picking just one Pickdropper build each month, though, I have to say.  :P

GermanCdn

Sounds good to me, but this of course means I have to start making graphics for my builds.  Time to put my wife's Cricket to good use.  Too bad it only has cake decorating patterns.  Ah, well, going to ruin that just like I ruined the coffee grinder making home made fly tying dubbing....
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

pickdropper

This sounds like fun to me, and I agree that there should be a limit to how many times any one person can win.  There are so many good builders here, there won't be any problem finding ones to vote for.  The hardest part will be limiting it to just one each month.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

whitebread47

Quote from: midwayfair on January 29, 2013, 04:47:30 PM
It's going to be hard picking just one Pickdropper build each month, though, I have to say.  :P

My thoughts exactly.  ;D
Blake

"I don't think people are looking for the meaning of life as much as they are looking for the experience of being alive." - Joseph Campbell