Started by gtangas, January 29, 2013, 02:48:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gtangas

Hi guys

Need some help on building a tube sreamer

I saw on the Madbean projects but there isn't an etch board

Any help?

stecykmi

tonepad.com has a etch layout with a few common mods.

gtangas

Quote from: stecykmi on January 29, 2013, 06:26:32 PM
tonepad.com has a etch layout with a few common mods.

Yes I have seen it. But I am a Madbean builder lol

I like the way Brian build this babies :-)

But will check it again

Thx

Vallhagen

Quote from: gtangas on January 29, 2013, 06:50:24 PM
But I am a Madbean builder lol

Good thinking;)

There IS an open madbean TS project right here on the forum. Gimme a minute, ill find the link.

Cheers

EDIT: Here you go:
http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=1661.0

Cheers
Yes i still have Blüe Monster pcb-s for sale!

...and checkout: https://moodysounds.se/

slimtriggers

I've built both the Tonepad and the Open Source Madbean TS.  I like the Madbean layout better  8)

hammerheadmusicman

i've done a couple of tonepad screamers, and something doesn't quite sit right, maybe it's just me :/

George
I play Guitar, and Build Stuff..

gtangas

that´s why i´m a MD builder!  ;D

Ok so i was looking at the layout/pcb and i need some help.

I think the switch is ok but what is the "1" for?

another question:
I've seen in different projects that diodes are replace by leds... clipping mode.. why? more gain? can i use a normal led?

jkokura

Not positive, but it might be for the empty lug of the switch you already drew in...

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

Haberdasher

1 goes with pads 2 and 3 (above d2 and d3) for the comp switch that lets you choose between different clippers.
when using leds for clippers most people use 3mm red leds wich sound the same as 5mm red leds but are easier to fit.
Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

gtangas

Quote from: Haberdasher on January 29, 2013, 11:44:48 PM
1 goes with pads 2 and 3 (above d2 and d3) for the comp switch that lets you choose between different clippers.
when using leds for clippers most people use 3mm red leds wich sound the same as 5mm red leds but are easier to fit.

ok, i have two comp switchs? one for fat and another for the clippers?

In that case can i change these diodes for leds?

Haberdasher

there are 3 switches available:  fat, bright, and comp.  the explanation for what they each do is on the schematic and there's probably lots of info in the green bean doc as well.

yes you can use led's.  I used them in d4 and d5 and used 3 bat46 type for the others.  I don't remember being completely sold on the bat46.  I'd probably like plain old 1n914's better. just socket them if you want & experiment around.

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:

slimtriggers

Quote from: Haberdasher on January 30, 2013, 12:51:19 AM
 I'd probably like plain old 1n914's better. just socket them if you want & experiment around.

I feel bad about admitting I like 1n914/1n4148 better than other clippers I've tried-at least in the Tubescreamer.  Also, I've never been able to tell a difference in opamps in a TS circuit.  Maybe there's something wrong with me

Haberdasher

Quote from: slimtriggers on January 30, 2013, 01:04:47 AM
I'd probably like plain old 1n914's better. just socket them if you want & experiment around.

I feel bad about admitting I like 1n914/1n4148 better than other clippers I've tried-at least in the Tubescreamer.  Also, I've never been able to tell a difference in opamps in a TS circuit.  Maybe there's something wrong with me

You're not alone.  1n914's are my favorite.  I used to buy a lot of diodes thinking I'd find something exotic, but truth is 1n914's just sound right.  Love them in a timmy.
As far as opamps, about the only time I've really ever appreciated a change was when I dropped a opa2604 in the serendipity.  I'm not sure why but it just sounded at home there, but in most other circuits they all sound about the same to me.

In all honesty though, I'm not the world's biggest tubescreamer fan so I probably shouldn't be doling out lots of advice concerning it.  I would just urge folks to socket the diodes and play around. :)

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:

gtangas

Quote from: Haberdasher on January 30, 2013, 01:38:28 AM
Quote from: slimtriggers on January 30, 2013, 01:04:47 AM

You're not alone.  1n914's are my favorite.  I used to buy a lot of diodes thinking I'd find something exotic, but truth is 1n914's just sound right.  Love them in a timmy.
As far as opamps, about the only time I've really ever appreciated a change was when I dropped a opa2604 in the serendipity.  I'm not sure why but it just sounded at home there, but in most other circuits they all sound about the same to me.

In all honesty though, I'm not the world's biggest tubescreamer fan so I probably shouldn't be doling out lots of advice concerning it.  I would just urge folks to socket the diodes and play around. :)

Then I will use 3mm leds on D4-D6, TL072 for the opa, and D1-D3 1n914

And what caps? ceramic? Film? Box?

I hallways have difficulty on the choice of caps (not the electros  ;D)

pedalman

i permanently bridged 2 & 3 and didnt use the comp switch. by doing this it removed D1-3.
D4-5 were lifted offboard for crazy options. more to come
I mod cheap guitars because my local music store said not to.