News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Midway Fair's PCB feeler

Started by midwayfair, January 27, 2013, 04:56:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

midwayfair

Hey, folks, I've learned Eagle well enough now that I feel comfortable ordering some PCBs for prototyping. I've made layouts for my Fallstaff Booster and Hamlet Delay, and will have a PCB layout for the Clipper Ship done tomorrow.

So this is a feeler -- is there anyone out there interested in me doing an actual PCB group buy of these?

For reference, here's a brief description of each. Further information can be found on my website. I will update the documentation there as I finish it.

Fallstaff Germanium Booster: A treble booster with a twist. This is a buffered and re-voiced version of a classic treble booster, with over 20dB of boost and an unusual Color control that when turned counterclockwise trims treble at the output and adds some subtle diode distortion. It has most of the classic treble booster sound but can also do a really cutting, dirty fullrange/mids boost, and best of all it works anywhere in the effects chain. Here's the build document (includes a new, better etch layout and a preview of the board):
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1033QEzKtTQJ0B3pTqJyp3mo-y4V7ErbM35hi3phTJLI/edit

Clipper Ship Overdrive: This is a simple transistor with diodes overdrive circuit cascaded into a JFET micro booster. It has a stupidly wonderful tone control for treble boost or cut, an absolutely MASSIVE output to slam an amp, and the gain pot goes from completely clean to near-fuzz. The overall character is a little voxy, in that it has a lot of second order harmonics, but there is plenty of interaction between the gain and tone control to get everything from an open sound to a big mids/lower mids push. Although it was made to work with an NPN germanium, it has the very bizarre characteristic that any transistor can be used in the overdrive section (NPN, PNP, germanium, silicon, it doesn't matter). Build document: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1dPlB8Lqn_a1A6Xpb3Lg-2cfTxGCLOkMfNUWALyGE3ZQ/edit

(I will replace the link after I finish the Google Doc with the Eagle layout. There will also be a single-sided etch layout.)

Hamlet Delay and Preamp: This is a PT2399 delay and 18v preamp in one. The preamp section has a ton of headroom and it can take a lot more in-line volume punishment than many delays, so it doesn't need to be run in the effects loop. I made it to run at the end of a chain. Some other features are an internal tone trim to make the repeats go from brighter than the dry signal to a little darker and analog-like, and an internal volume trimmer with some available boost. I haven't posted the build docs or demo publicly yet, but like my other circuits, it is fairly easy to build, uses common parts, and is versatile. I am waiting a bit for everyone to build Brian's delays. :) My PCB prototypes from OSH Park for this one get here in February.

The Fallstaff and Clipper Ship will be small enough to be 1590A builds. The Hamlet is 1590B, though I suspect Brian could have gotten it into a 1590A .... I don't do board mounted pots, but I promise that the overall build difficulty for all of these is Cowboy at most, and I will provide very thorough instructions (see the Fallstaff doc for an example).

This is not really a money-making endeavor for me. I will try to keep the price of boards as low as possible to cover my costs. Remember, the more people in on the group buys the cheaper I can get them fabbed and the better it is for everyone.

So here's what I'd like: If you're interested in something, let me know, but if you're interested in more than one, cast a vote for which one I should do first.

jimilee

Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

pickdropper

Jon, I'd be interested in one of each, but I'd probably build the booster first.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

wolfingsworth

I started drooling when I saw your build report for the hamlet delay. Count me in for one of those!

GermanCdn

The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

hammerheadmusicman

How much we talking, roughly, and yes i'm interested..
I play Guitar, and Build Stuff..

somnabula

I'd be interest in all of them, but if I would have to choose I would choose the delay first.

madbean

If it is a delay, I will build it. So, yeah.

gtr2

Even though I've built at least 20 delays now, I'd be up for one  ;)
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

Haberdasher

yeah jon, a delay & possibly a few fallstaffs
Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

dodgechargerfan

I'm a sucker for a delay board. Count me in for 2, please.

slacker775

Not that I don't already have enough delays, but I like that this one has yet another twist.  Put me down for one.

midwayfair

Count so far:

Delay 12

OD 2

Boost 3

Pretty sure Hamlet's going to win this fight. Finishing up the Clipper Ship board now ...

jkokura

Not surprised...

Any chance of seeing the hamlet before hand? I rarely buy boards without seeing the overlay.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals