News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

DS Mayo - Mudbunny build

Started by eldanko, January 27, 2013, 01:07:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

eldanko

I'm running low on enclosures.

Having had my Mudbunny (Mayo specs) built up for months, I couldn't wait any longer to put it on the pedal board.  Thus... I improvised.

I like to think of it as sort of a "Trojan Horse".  At the very least, I look forward to the comments from certain gear snob friends when they see a DS-1 on my board. 

This one has SE4010 transistors from Small Bear, and they have plenty of gain.  I know these have a reputation for not generally having a great deal, so perhaps I got a particularly good set.  Either way, I swapped in some 2N5089s for comparison and ended up keeping the 4010s in there.

After an hour or so of diode swapping, I ended up keeping the stock 1N914s in there.  Germaniums were lowering the gain too much (though I liked the tonality of them), other silicons just weren't... Muffy enough. 

www.danekinser.com - Music, Builds, other nonsense

wolfingsworth

This is very cool! I have always thought one could put a stomp switch inside a boss enclosure. Do you mind explaining how you got the travel just right for the 'click'?

eldanko

Quote from: wolfingsworth on January 27, 2013, 03:45:47 AM
This is very cool! I have always thought one could put a stomp switch inside a boss enclosure. Do you mind explaining how you got the travel just right for the 'click'?

Ha! That was, indeed, the greatest challenge with this build.  I used two sided tape (the puffy kind that's used to hang posters) and gradually added layers to the top of the box until I got the right travel on the switch.  I also tried two different switches - one a traditional blue 3pdt, and then the industrial one from Mammoth seen in the pic.  The Mammoth one has a bit shorter travel and worked best.

wolfingsworth

Ha! That was, indeed, the greatest challenge with this build.  I used two sided tape (the puffy kind that's used to hang posters) and gradually added layers to the top of the box until I got the right travel on the switch.  I also tried two different switches - one a traditional blue 3pdt, and then the industrial one from Mammoth seen in the pic.  The Mammoth one has a bit shorter travel and worked best.[/quote]
I see! I kept seeing the Keeley true bypass mods and thought it a bit unneccesary to have the stompswitch on the outside. I suppose there wouldn't be room for it with the BOSS pcb taking up the whole cavity, but for that matter, why not use a relay bypass system and just keep the mountain switch? Ah well, things for me to fuss over... Great job making it all work!

JakeFuzz

Ahh a sleeper pedal. You be rollin up and the corksniffers are like  ::)  turn it on and everyone is like  :o

Damn that is cool. Love my Mayo Muff. If you like the Ge texture Ive been telling everyone to test the OA126's in muff builds. High forward voltage makes them louder than the 1n914's and they sound ridiculously cool. Love that spongy Ge grind!

brainbender

Quote from: wolfingsworth on January 27, 2013, 03:45:47 AM
I have always thought one could put a stomp switch inside a boss enclosure.
Me too. :)
Nice build and idea, eldanko!

eldanko

Quote from: wolfingsworth on January 28, 2013, 06:33:02 AM
I suppose there wouldn't be room for it with the BOSS pcb taking up the whole cavity, but for that matter, why not use a relay bypass system and just keep the mountain switch? Ah well, things for me to fuss over... Great job making it all work!

Actually, you could fit a Cusack or Deville clickless kit in here pretty easily if you wanted... one of those two actually included instructions on how to do it at one point.  I decided against that, as I tend to save my clickless units for delays and such.  Muff is supposed to make noise  ;D

Quote from: JakeFuzz on January 28, 2013, 06:40:27 AM
If you like the Ge texture Ive been telling everyone to test the OA126's in muff builds. High forward voltage makes them louder than the 1n914's and they sound ridiculously cool. Love that spongy Ge grind!

Ooooo.  That might be the ticket.  Where do you get your OA126s?  I used the ones I got from Jon in my Kingslayer (GREAT combo), and the only other place I've seen em is eBay in lots of 50 or so.

JakeFuzz

Ill PM you and we'll figure it out.

icecycle66

Man... :'(

I was just about to start doing some boss sleepers.
I was even working on a Runt to put in a box Dutch sent me.

midwayfair

Man, that graphic looks super authentic! How'd you get the label to print the little lid?

;D

Ahh a sleeper pedal. You be rollin up and the corksniffers are like  ::)  turn it on and everyone is like  :o

hehehe

nzCdog

Sweet build man. Like a Boss 8)

LOL!

varfalex

Really nice build! Thank you for sharing!

My 2 cents: when I was making a TB for boss pedal I just replaced the original switch with a blue 3pdt. You only need to snap off the top of the 3pdt to make it shorter and that's it! So, this way you still have a batery compartment just in case.

Cheers, folks!

Radhe Shyam