News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Bass chorus recommendations

Started by jimilee, January 22, 2013, 11:04:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimilee

I have a boss chorus that I need to kick off my pedal board so I need to build one. What do I need to build? Effect Level, Low Filter, Rate and Depth knobs are the controls I have now,and it makes a great sustain pedal also.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

PimpMyTone

what s wrong with the boss chorus ?
Simon

Stomptown

I love the Pork barrel myself, which is basically a Boss CE-2 clone. Just depth and rate knobs, but I personally think less knobs is more with chorus. IMO all other boss choruses are pretty much subpar; too many knobs = more difficult to dial in. If you use a charge pump and run at 15V you won't get any distortion but at 9V I think you would probably get some breakup. I have a BYOC CE-2 clone and it does have nice breakup. I wonder if there are any bass mods for the pork barrel. Might be worth some research - or - maybe someone else knows of mods for bass. Anyone?

icecycle66

If you want to build one, then the CE2 with an added mix knob is the way to go.

If you just want the best one ever, go with the Iron Ether Nimbus.

RobA

I built the Porkbarrel (at 15V) and like it a lot. I built it to replace one I sold in my youth and it does the job. But, I also built the Current Lover at 15V using the MN3007 and I like the chorus I get with it better than the CE2. It'll get you nicely into the Police/Andy Summers territory. And then you get a flanger too.
Affiliations: Music Unfolding (musicunfolding.com), software based effects and Rock•it Frog (rock.it-frog.com), DIY effects (coming soon).

Stomptown

Quote from: RobA on January 23, 2013, 02:31:41 AM
I built the Porkbarrel (at 15V) and like it a lot. I built it to replace one I sold in my youth and it does the job. But, I also built the Current Lover at 15V using the MN3007 and I like the chorus I get with it better than the CE2. It'll get you nicely into the Police/Andy Summers territory. And then you get a flanger too.

I have yet to build a flanger. Any good builds you recommend?

jeffaroo

alot of people really like the current lover
ive heard good things about byoc's as well
Not enough germaniums in this world to complete my wish list !

RobA

Quote from: Stomptown on January 23, 2013, 02:53:11 AM
[...]
I have yet to build a flanger. Any good builds you recommend?

The Current Lover is the only one I've built. I need to do another with a 9V supply, so I'm interested in recommendations too.
Affiliations: Music Unfolding (musicunfolding.com), software based effects and Rock•it Frog (rock.it-frog.com), DIY effects (coming soon).

jimilee

Quote from: simonsix on January 22, 2013, 11:33:43 PM
what s wrong with the boss chorus ?
Nothing,I was just lookin to build one.kind of get the branded pedals off my board.i still own 4 or 5 boss pedals I probably won't sell ever.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

jkokura

The Boss CE-2 Is pretty much where it's at for DIY Choruses. It's not super hard to build one. Other than that, there's not a super large number of options or alternatives that are preferable. The PT2399 choruses out there aren't as good. The MN3007 sounds best from the various Choruses I've built. That's why the Boss CE-2 and CE-2B are super popular. Even the newer digital stuff is modeled after those.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

jimilee

Quote from: jkokura on January 23, 2013, 04:36:20 AM
The Boss CE-2 Is pretty much where it's at for DIY Choruses. It's not super hard to build one. Other than that, there's not a super large number of options or alternatives that are preferable. The PT2399 choruses out there aren't as good. The MN3007 sounds best from the various Choruses I've built. That's why the Boss CE-2 and CE-2B are super popular. Even the newer digital stuff is modeled after those.

Jacob
Sounds super!  ;D probably build a pork barrel,or just use the boss I have,seems silly to build a clone of an existing pedal,but then again because I can is a good enough reason to do it.

jkokura

Quote from: jimilee on January 23, 2013, 04:40:26 AM
Quote from: jkokura on January 23, 2013, 04:36:20 AM

Jacob
Sounds super!  ;D probably build a pork barrel,or just use the boss I have,seems silly to build a clone of an existing pedal,but then again because I can is a good enough reason to do it.

Dude... I sold my 80's TS9 with original 4558 chip, to buy parts to build my first pedals... including a TS808 clone using a modern 4558...

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

jeffaroo

Not enough germaniums in this world to complete my wish list !