News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Zero Point Micro!

Started by kinski, January 22, 2013, 03:08:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kinski

Well, I just ordered a Zero Point Micro, without even seeing the document of what it actually is, as it is not released yet. Ha! Can't wait to slap this thing together.

I've been dying for a good 1590A delay, and the possibility of having modulation with it is even better!

I'm hoping this thing can do the basics: Mix, Delay Time, and Control # of repeats. I'm assuming thats the case, with a toggle to turn on/off the modulation (which is fixed with a resistor). Is this correct?

madbean

Yes, the three standard controls plus modulation. The modulation can be dealt with in a couple of ways. The depth is fixed at what I felt like was a fairly minimal and musical setting. Then you have the option of fixed rate and a switch to turn the modulation on and off, or have the modulation on all the time and variable depth. Obviously, if you put it in a larger enclosure you can use both options, but in a 1590A that's probably s far as you want to take it.

The actual delay is pretty close to the Sea Urchin, but the input/output sections are different. The delay voicing is the same.

I will be including a chart in all the Zero Point docs that compares the features of each project so there won't be any confusion.

kinski

Oh, awesome!

With the modulation depth control pot, at its lowest setting could it be tweaked to have no audible modulation? And with this set up, the speed of the modulation would be "fixed" then, correct? If so, you could use a trimpot for easier adjusting of the speed internally, yes?

RobA

I've ordered the ZP micro and now that I've got the docs I've got a question before a place a parts order. The doc notes that you need to use MLCC's in certain slots because they are 2.5mm spacing. I'm assuming then that WIMA MKS02 film caps will work in these positions. Do you see any reason they won't? Also, assuming that I'm going to put this in a 1590B size box, the other MLCC's could be done with film caps (5mm spacing)?

Thanks for the work on these BTW. They do look cool!
Affiliations: Music Unfolding (musicunfolding.com), software based effects and Rock•it Frog (rock.it-frog.com), DIY effects (coming soon).

madbean

Maybe, but maybe not. While the pin spacing is 2.5mm, that is also the component spacing. IOW--your WIMAS may be 2.5mm on the leads, but the bodies are wider, correct? This means they may not fit side by side, but  I won't say for sure.

You should be able to use them for the other values/places up to 100n. But, any 1uF caps there should probably be MLCC.

Just take a look at the pic of the board to get an idea of how tight it is:

RobA

Thanks for the pic, very helpful!  The MKS02's are surprisingly tiny. You can easily fit two of them side-by-side on the pads for a DIP-8, so they should work here and I just happen to have the values I need for this lying about. Yeah, those 1µF guys would be a bit more challenging :D.
Affiliations: Music Unfolding (musicunfolding.com), software based effects and Rock•it Frog (rock.it-frog.com), DIY effects (coming soon).

Hangingmonkey

Anyone know where i can get MLCCs from in the UK?

juansolo

Farnell/CPC or Rapid I'd say. We've definitely had some from one of them in the past. Can't remember which one did them though.
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

Hangingmonkey

Hangingmonkey

Oh and just to add in case anyone finds it helpfull, bitsbox have mlcc's