News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Secret Tools of the Trade

Started by GermanCdn, January 14, 2013, 06:18:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GermanCdn

Figured I'd start a thread about little obscure tools we use in building that probably go unnoticed by most but make the overall process much better.  The big boys (soldering irons, solder type, wire strippers, cutters, etc) get a lot of press, so let's not talk about them here.

For me, it's the ESP multi spanner wrench, which I pulled out of my guitar maintenance kit.  You can use it for pots, jacks, switches, etc without ever having to change tools or readjust settings.  But where they really come in handy is tightening the nuts on the inside mount DC jacks, as there usually isn't a pile of room to work in, and trying to use a needle nose usually doesn't give the greatest results.

They also work great for prying off press fit knobs, just make sure you put a business card underneath to keep from scratching the finish.

They're available from Stewmac, WD, and all over ebay.  Going price is usually about $11.

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tools/Wrenches/ESP_Multi_Spanner.html?actn=100101&xst=3&xsr=187810
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

gtr2

While it's kind of a "big boy" the dremel has saved my rear a few times.

Also reverse tweezers.  The kind you squeeze to open the tips and release to hold on to something.

Sockets with fabric placed on the lip.  Anti scratch tightening :)

Josh
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

nzCdog

Interesting ideas!  I really should get a set of reverse tweezers... been meaning to!  And I want anti-wicking tweezers, but just because they look cool ;D

I recommend getting a good set of Solder Aid Tools

icecycle66

Quote from: gtr2 on January 14, 2013, 07:49:24 PM

Josh

Oh man, why didn't I think of that!?

pickdropper

Mine are:

- Reverse Tweezers
- Regular Tweezers
- Microscope.  Not just for SMT stuff, for any inspection it rocks.
- Toothbrush for cleaning boards.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

jimilee

Spanner wrench looks awesome,I need to have one. I use needle nose pliers,but they tend to slip and pinch my hand. I use a tiny screw driver I got in an order from parts express,I thought it was the dumbest thing ever at first,but now it stays in my kit. One odd thing I found myself using the other day was an earring. The post is the right size for when you're desoldering, soldering iron on one side,earring on the other. Also a hot glue gun. Great for insulating the underside of a pcb while simultaneously sticking it to the enclosure.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

alanp

Adjustable spanner. Probably an obvious one, though.

A good knife. Two, in fact. One Stanley knife for ripping ANYTHING open, plus cutting drill patterns from A4 paper. One small steak knife, both as a screwdriver for teeny weeny phillips stuff, and as a long pointy thing to hold things down, sometimes. And as a letter opener too.

MASKING TAPE. This is used everywhere.

A weeny flathead screwdriver. It's not immediately obvious when you're buying stuff, but you WILL need it for trimmers, etc.

A metal ruler (a real one with millimeters, not one your nana uses with pounds, chains, and fluid ozzes on it.) Both to measure things when you DON'T have a drill pattern, and so you can cut straight lines when you want with the aforementioned Stanley knife.

An oldschool Dymo label machine for when you can't be arsed with fancy-schmancy graphics.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

timbo_93631

Because I use prefer Switchcraft full size jacks in my 1590a's I have a set of 1/4" right angle plugs that I cut off a junk patch cable for checking the clearance and positioning.  I have an antique metal graver from the 1800's I use to scratch up the little indented area on a wah rocker for the rubber pads.  They always seem to fall out and roughing up that area before gluing in new ones really does the trick, especially on Vox V847's and other chrome rocker models.  I have a set of 1/4" square nut drivers set up for jacks, switches, and LED bezels are close at hand too, and 13mm open end wrench for wah pots, 14mm fo 3PDT's and DC jacks.  All these are held along with snips and wire stripper in a 3/4" thick piece of plywood I drilled and cut out on the edge of my workbench.  Everything close at hand but off the bench.  I also have some dental picks, burr removal tools, IC puller and small screwdrivers there.  Also I have a 9v battery snap to dc jack barrel plug handy for quickly powering pedals.  Handy as a gig backup device if my pedalboard power supply took a dump.
Sunday Musical Instruments LLC.
Sunday Handwound Pickups

whitebread47

Quote from: icecycle66 on January 14, 2013, 08:48:52 PM

Josh

Oh man, why didn't I think of that!?

Asking myself the same thing.  One of my greatest pains is accidentally scratching a good finish while tightening pot nuts.  Anyways, thanks for sharing this Josh!
Blake

"I don't think people are looking for the meaning of life as much as they are looking for the experience of being alive." - Joseph Campbell

ch1naski

Quote from: timbo_93631 on January 15, 2013, 04:38:05 AM
Because I use prefer Switchcraft full size jacks in my 1590a's I have a set of 1/4" right angle plugs that I cut off a junk patch cable for checking the clearance and positioning.  I have an antique metal graver from the 1800's I use to scratch up the little indented area on a wah rocker for the rubber pads.  They always seem to fall out and roughing up that area before gluing in new ones really does the trick, especially on Vox V847's and other chrome rocker models.  I have a set of 1/4" square nut drivers set up for jacks, switches, and LED bezels are close at hand too, and 13mm open end wrench for wah pots, 14mm fo 3PDT's and DC jacks.  All these are held along with snips and wire stripper in a 3/4" thick piece of plywood I drilled and cut out on the edge of my workbench.  Everything close at hand but off the bench.  I also have some dental picks, burr removal tools, IC puller and small screwdrivers there.  Also I have a 9v battery snap to dc jack barrel plug handy for quickly powering pedals.  Handy as a gig backup device if my pedalboard power supply took a dump.
Photo, please!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
one louder.

jeffaroo

well id like to put a big thanks out to Harbor Freight for all the crap i bring home and use on my work bench. i refuse to buy anything of value over $40 bucks, but all the little crap adds up. With a open mind you can make a use for things at Harbor Freight. like this POS i use it for veroboard

http://www.harborfreight.com/3-in-1-hex-bit-countersink-tool-68535.html

http://www.harborfreight.com/6-piece-fine-point-tweezer-set-93598.html
http://www.harborfreight.com/5-1-2-half-inch-locking-clamp-99930.html

Also special thanks goes out to Anheuser Busch
Not enough germaniums in this world to complete my wish list !

Stomptown

While it's kind of a "big boy" the dremel has saved my rear a few times.

Josh

I use a Dremel all the time for drilling holes on homemade pcb's, and more importlantly, I use it to pre-drill my enclosures. I started doing this before I learned about the center punch technique and it worked so well I've just stuck with it.

wgc

A tapered reamer I bought at RS back when I was about 12 for $3 or so.  Jewelers screw driver set.  A set of security screw driver bits from harbor freight.  A 3mm chisel tip for my adjustable temp iron.  Dental pick. Xacto knife.  Flux pen.
always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.
e.e. cummings

icecycle66

jimilee

Helping hands with a big magnifying glass.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.