News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

What's your favorite wire to use for pedals?

Started by kylemyers33, January 13, 2013, 08:18:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kylemyers33

So I personally go with 22 or 24 awg. What about you guys?

pickdropper

I use the 24 awg pre-bond stuff from small bear.  I also like 26 awg ribbon cable from Amphenol. 
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

Haberdasher

I used to buy the 24 a lot but I've gone mostly to 22 now- except my pot wiring which is done with ribbon cable whenever possible.
If I ever start building in 1590a's I may revert back to 24 if I find it easier to cram in there.
Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

icecycle66

Whatever it is that radioshack carries for $1.50 a roll.

jimilee

That brings up a good question, does the gage affect r the sound? I just built a paramix using barrys hookup wire and so far it's very nice
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

hammerheadmusicman

anyone tried the tayda hookup wire? i've about ran out of black, so I ordered a few feet to give it a try..
I play Guitar, and Build Stuff..

neiloler

I've used SmallBear's wire, nice stuff, but it seems to break if you move it around the point of the solder joint a bit (which isn't really the wire's fault, it's mine, but it's an aspect of that wire I don't like).

I've used the stuff from Mammoth, the pre-cut stuff, and I've used the ribbon cable which is useful for pot wiring, etc.

Honestly, the stuff I like using the best is the solid-core Teflon wiring from Weber. $0.30 a foot, holds its position well, and is pretty good about getting flexed about and not breaking on me.

Wire gauge won't have as much effect on your tone as just about everything else involved in the equation (circuit design, changing speakers/guitar/amp/etc, etc).
OLERAudio - Sole proprietor, engineer, and goofball

icecycle66

I don't imagine the wire gauge matters, within reason, since the circuit traces are micro.

pickdropper

For pedals (with MAYBE the exception of tubes), you don't need very thick wire.  24-26 awg is more than adequate.
Function f(x)

stecykmi

i once bought a big spool of telephone wire (maybe 400ft or so) for $5 at a salvation army. i rip open the outer rubber sheath and use the individual wires inside. it doesn't take solder as nicely as some wire (i should buy some flux), but a lifetime supply of wire, in a dozen or so colours, and for $5? sounds good to me.

hammerheadmusicman

Flux will definitley do the job! But be careful, i have some which is conductive! fiddled aroudn trying to get a pedal to work for ages, IPA'd the flux off, bingo!

Lesson Learned!

George

jimilee

Quote from: pickdropper on January 13, 2013, 09:22:45 PM
For pedals (with MAYBE the exception of tubes), you don't need very thick wire.  24-26 awg is more than adequate.
Right I use 24 but I have lots of 22 for when I work on my guitars. That's why I was curious.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

pickdropper

Quote from: jimilee on January 13, 2013, 10:25:47 PM
Quote from: pickdropper on January 13, 2013, 09:22:45 PM
Right I use 24 but I have lots of 22 for when I work on my guitars. That's why I was curious.

That's cool.  We are all a curious lot here.  It's a good trait to have.
Function f(x)

hammerheadmusicman

^As long as your not a cat, it's probably a good thing..

jimilee

Quote from: hammerheadmusicman on January 13, 2013, 11:09:10 PM
^As long as your not a cat, it's probably a good thing..
Ooohhhhh took a minute, but I got it..... See that's what you call a way homer, cause you don't get it until you're on your way home......