News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

1n34a risk of fakes?

Started by wolfingsworth, January 13, 2013, 05:52:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wolfingsworth

There are quite a few options on ebay and some sellers in Hong Kong are offering lots of ten for dirt cheap. Has there been a problem with getting fakes like some other NOS parts?

midwayfair

The ones I've gotten were fine. They look like the Tayda ones (legit) and the ones sold by several US ebay sellers.

1n34a are still in production. That's why they're so cheap.

Stomptown

Quote from: midwayfair on January 13, 2013, 06:37:56 AM
The ones I've gotten were fine. They look like the Tayda ones (legit) and the ones sold by several US ebay sellers.

I wasn't aware they were still in production. I wonder why small bear only sells a workalike.

wolfingsworth

Quote from: Stomptown on January 13, 2013, 07:27:57 AM
Quote from: midwayfair on January 13, 2013, 06:37:56 AM

I wasn't aware they were still in production. I wonder why small bear only sells a workalike.
Good point! I guess I'll just grab some and see if they work. Thanks for the info Jon!

Scruffie

The in production ones are Schottky under the same code I beleive... simmilar fV though.

Proper NOS 1N34A are pretty hard to come by I think.
Works at Lectric-FX

midwayfair

Quote from: Scruffie on January 13, 2013, 07:25:35 PM
The in production ones are Schottky under the same code I beleive... simmilar fV though.

Proper NOS 1N34A are pretty hard to come by I think.

They're definitely germanium. They rise in Fv when heat even from a finger is applied.

pickdropper

I think Tayda carries both Germanium and the Schottkys that Scruffie refers to.  They are both 1n34, but you can tell by the package size they list.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

FX-Rated

I ordered some 1n34a from an ebay Store, named Zeuselectronics. They showed a picture of the standart looking Glashousing germanium diode and described them as ge diode in the description, too.
Today i got the package and the look weird. They are very small, orange and the Ring is printed is white. The only mark, thats printed on is an "H". Did i got fake Diodes?
Heard from other cases with Tayda orders. From them i ordered 1n914 and 1n60p Diodes, they are orange/copper colored too and have a black, the 60p (like these http://image.cn.made-in-china.com/2f0j01cQtTpkfamESw/%25E8%2582%2596%25E7%2589%25B9%25E5%259F%25BA%25E4%25BA%258C%25E6%259E%2581%25E7%25AE%25A1%25EF%25BC%258D1N60,1N60P.jpg ), and the 914er a yellow ring (like these ones http://www.flickr.com/photos/goa2008/3771606953/ ) , hope these are okay.

How do i measure the diodes and how schould be the results? Is it just Voltage or Diode testing Option on my dmm??

My picture files are too large to upload, i post them tomorrow, but the 34a ones look similar to the quoted picture of the 914er.

midwayfair

Quote from: FX-Rated on August 19, 2013, 10:26:06 PM
I ordered some 1n34a from an ebay Store, named Zeuselectronics. They showed a picture of the standart looking Glashousing germanium diode and described them as ge diode in the description, too.
Today i got the package and the look weird. They are very small, orange and the Ring is printed is white. The only mark, thats printed on is an "H". Did i got fake Diodes?
Heard from other cases with Tayda orders. From them i ordered 1n914 and 1n60p Diodes, they are orange/copper colored too and have a black, the 60p (like these http://image.cn.made-in-china.com/2f0j01cQtTpkfamESw/%25E8%2582%2596%25E7%2589%25B9%25E5%259F%25BA%25E4%25BA%258C%25E6%259E%2581%25E7%25AE%25A1%25EF%25BC%258D1N60,1N60P.jpg ), and the 914er a yellow ring (like these ones http://www.flickr.com/photos/goa2008/3771606953/ ) , hope these are okay.

How do i measure the diodes and how schould be the results? Is it just Voltage or Diode testing Option on my dmm??

My picture files are too large to upload, i post them tomorrow, but the 34a ones look similar to the quoted picture of the 914er.

The 1n60p you got are correct -- the p is a schottky workalike and I assume they are what was pictured. I hope you didn't pay more that 4c each for them. If they told you you were getting germanium, though, it's not as described. Fwiw, I use them all the time.

The 1n34a are not. Demand a refund for those. They're not as pictured. (Fwiw, they're a schottky work a like, like tayda used to carry. Not Be.)

Guitarmageddon

Personally I wouldn't chase the NOS ones again, I'll just use anything with the right FV.
I bought 100 NOS 1N34A on ebay a while ago and the glass was so fragile I broke more than I used.
If you want to be exotic, try some of the Russian detector diodes.
Spud knows tone!

Captain Cod at
www.codtone.com

FX-Rated

Okay thank you for the answer. I wrote them to give the diodes back. Thought these Asian Ebay Stuff would be kinda cheaper, but in result, when i order my parts at Musikding or UK-Electronic here in Germany, i get better Quality and really the parts, that i want and not some kind of Fake..and pay only a little bit more, maybe 10c or something, depending on type.
Hope those 1n914 are okay, because of the yellow band, but i saw the same type on some diode-type-list page on the internet, too.
The only parts i will still order in the future, are Resistors from SunElectronics...a whole lot of working ones for around 20€, within delivery costs.
And maybe some usual Transistor Types, like 2n3904 or 5088...can´t get em cheaper here in Europe, even if some of em are not working. But as i read, i will get my BC108Cs, BC107 and J201er ones better here in Germany from reliable Deliverers, than the not working, leaking and fake ones from Asia.

Thank you for your Help.

FX-Rated

One further Question. Do you think these ones are no fakes?
http://www.ebay.de/itm/230989140738
www.ebay.de/itm/260805957977

Gristlepig

Just stumbled upon this thread...

I too, bought those 1n34a from Zeus Electronics on ebay.

I got tiny little green and red diodes very unlike the nice big glass ones pictured on the listing. I don't remember what the fv was, but I do recall them not responding to the finger test.
It took a month of bullshit back and forth before they finally refunded my money.
Stay away from zeus... Doo doo seller.

fendman

Talking about 1n34A 's ...I  ordered 20 from Tayda some months ago and came to use some this month, 16 were open circuit and 4 worked. The glass looked distorted on most of them and they looked bigger than normal and they broke for fun.

Anyway, I got a coupon for $5 on my next purchase... the one good thing  about Tayda...they reply straight away and its a no fuss, sort it out for you :)

So I will always use them regardless. I think they realise that as well, they are very customer orientated.

Mike

billstein

Quote from: fendman on September 26, 2013, 10:47:43 PM
Talking about 1n34A 's ...I  ordered 20 from Tayda some months ago and came to use some this month, 16 were open circuit and 4 worked. The glass looked distorted on most of them and they looked bigger than normal and they broke for fun.

Anyway, I got a coupon for $5 on my next purchase... the one good thing  about Tayda...they reply straight away and its a no fuss, sort it out for you :)

So I will always use them regardless. I think they realise that as well, they are very customer orientated.

Mike

Just had the same thing happen to me. Had about 15 from Tayda, only one was good. I'll have to contact them.