News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

NGD and a long story

Started by madbean, January 11, 2013, 03:59:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

madbean

Technically, it's a new 'body' day. The story of this guitar:

I got my second guitar in 1989. It was a Fender Deluxe (Am.) Strat with Lace Sensors. Great guitar! But, being the dumbass teenager I was, I decided I wanted to mod it...a lot. Around this time I was really into Metallica, and the "..and Justice for All" record had just come out. I saw this picture of Kirk Hammet with a tricked out Strat that I really loved. It was black like mine, but he had put EMGs, a Floyd Rose and black tuners on it. I thought it looked freakin awesome so I decided I would trick out my Strat like his.

Anyway, I had the EMGs put in, bought some black Sperzel tuners. Eventually I bought a Floyd Rose and took it to my local shop to see if they could put it in. I had been taking lessons there for a couple of years and had them do some work before, so I was not worried. So, the owner says "sure, no problem" and off it went to a local luthier to route out the body and install the tremolo.

Well, it turns out this "luthier" specialized in stringed instruments, but violins or some shit. What I got back was a mess. The body had been incorrectly routed, the clamping nut was installed behind the original nut rather than replacing it and the damn thing would not hold tune at all. I was pretty crushed. I found out later the owner of the shop was a coke addict or something, so maybe he traded the money for drugs, ha ha.

Years went by and I kept playing the guitar even though I grew out of the metal phase. I eventually started undoing some of the mods, going back to the Laces, etc. Since the body was pretty well destroyed, I painted the back of it with "This Machine Kills Capitalists". I dunno why I did that. But, I just kept playing with it and put up with the bad setup, frequent detunes, etc. Through this process I completely wore in the neck, which was still in good shape. The thing about playing a neck over a lot of years is that both your hand and the wood eventually mold themselves to one another. I love the neck and the fact that the original nut was left in turned out to be a blessing.

So, finally, here is the re-done Deluxe more than 20 years later. The new body is Warmoth, Black Korina. I love it! It's got the original 2-point tremolo and neck. The pickups are supposedly Fenders, but there are no markings to indicate. They are fairly weak---5.65k on the bridge. But, I like weakish single coils. The chickenhead knob is actually a fake pot---it has an SPST switch on it, so when I turn it all the way back, the switch engages and adds in the neck pickup so I can get the neck/bridge combo I like so much. The pickguard is Walnut which I bought off eBay a while ago. I wish I had taken a picture of the wiring I did inside...one of my best wiring jobs. Also, I put in wicked paper in oil 22n cap in for the master tone.

Now I gotta plug it in!

oldhousescott

Sweet! She's a beauty! Did you add any shielding inside?

madbean

Quote from: oldhousescott on January 11, 2013, 04:15:07 PM
Sweet! She's a beauty! Did you add any shielding inside?

Actually, no. I was tempted to, but in the end I decided against it. I did do a partial shield on the pickguard though. I used roofing tape of all things. I was careful to check grounding continuity on all the parts and everything is in contact thankfully. It worked really well.

I might add some some body shielding later but I was kinda in a hurry to get this done (got a session coming up).

gtr2

You have a fantastic body there...  ;D

I check through warmoths site every couple months.  Never bought anything but they have some fine looking stuff!

Josh
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

GermanCdn

That is a gorgeous body, and I love the pickguard.

As far as the rest of the story goes, it falls under the "What we did when we were young and stupid" category.  I murdered a couple of otherwise perfectly good guitars with similar intentions, worst one was a US Hamer Chapparal which I decided I'd totally refinish, taking it from a guitar I could have sold for $800 - $1000 to a guitar I traded in for $100.
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

juansolo

Tis a thing of much loveliness!  8)
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

Stomptown

This is awesome Brian! I love the natural wood looks great. It feels great to be able to bring guitars back to life. I have an old Les Paul that I restored with a nice story behind it as well. I'll post something soon...

jkokura

I too like the master tone knob setup. I'm changing all my guitars to master tone, master volume...

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

slimtriggers

That's a great looking guitar! 

nzCdog

Black Korina = Holy grail tonewood!
Very nice! 

wolfingsworth

That guitar is absolutely beautiful! Congrats! I live  not too far from the Warmoth factory in WA.  One of these days I need to take a tour and buy something!

pickdropper

That looks great, Brian.  I really dig the black limba body.

Congrats on getting a Strat Plus with a straight neck.  I bought one in '93 that is on it's third neck.  ???

Love the guitar otherwise, although nearly everything has been changed out at this point.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

lincolnic

That is a really beautiful guitar.

jtn191

awesome guitar! I always like seeing woodgrain, haven't seen many pick-guards like that.
One of my heros plays a Strat Plus (or deluxe?) with Lace Sensors. I have those in mine too; wired mine for master volume, master tone, bass cut (like G&L). Also I swapped the middle and the bridge pickups without changing any of the wiring, giving me that sweet neck+bridge position instead of neck + middle. one of my favorites

wgc

If I said you had a nice body, would you hold it against me?  ;-)
always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.
e.e. cummings