News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Red Dawn...

Started by Chinchen, January 11, 2013, 04:42:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chinchen

Hey all,
Here is my second successful build. A GGG Red Llama board, BYOC enclosure. I tried building this on perfboard but it didnt work so I went ahead and bought the PCB...so much easier!

I drilled the enclosure and did the paint and graphics also using inkjet decal paper. The pics don't do the color of the paint justice. It is a nice red, red....

The owner of the local R.S. is one of the last real dudes....he helped me tons with components and has been a great resource..Thanks Bill!!

I didn't have the right ceramic caps so I used a 68 and 151 instead of the 51 and 101 that are recommended.  
From what I understand this rolls off some of the highs, which is fine cause I am playing my electric mandolin through it and it tends to be bright anyways.

Sounds pretty damn good too! Although there is some added noise when I turn up the volume.

Done a Ross/Keeley clone and this....What should be next? Delay? Wah? I need both. Oh wait....a pedalboard....

jkokura

What should be next?

Silly question. Answer: All of them.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

whitebread47

Looks great, man.  I'm simply excited by the idea of an electric mandolin through a Red Llama circuit.  If you ever record some clips, please do share!

Quote from: jkokura on January 11, 2013, 04:47:54 AM
What should be next?

Silly question. Answer: All of them.

Yeah, this.  I started out wanting to build a Fuzz Face and an overdrive or two.  30 or so builds later......  ::)
Blake

"I don't think people are looking for the meaning of life as much as they are looking for the experience of being alive." - Joseph Campbell

pickdropper

Nice looking build.  I dig the asymmetric knob layout.

I have to finish a Red Llama build.  I've got a couple of boards here but haven't gotten around to finishing one.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

Chinchen

Thanks guys. Not as clean inside as the last, but it seems to work fine... ;D

culturejam

Dude. Red Dawn is one of my favorite 80s flicks. Love the theme!

And the guts look like my first year of building (I mean that in a very positive, nostalgic happy way).

Nice work. Keep it up.
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

lincolnic

I like how you've mounted the PCB at the bottom of the enclosure - nice to see a creative alternative to the standard "over the pots" thing.

jimilee

Quote from: lincolnic on January 12, 2013, 05:19:51 AM
I like how you've mounted the PCB at the bottom of the enclosure - nice to see a creative alternative to the standard "over the pots" thing.
I dig that one also,took me a minute to even find the pcb,great idea.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Stomptown

Quote from: jimilee on January 12, 2013, 06:19:50 AM
I dig that one also,took me a minute to even find the pcb,great idea.

I prefer to see the component side of the board though myself, but it is pretty cool and great for situations where space is an issue. If you check out the guts of most (if not all) Zvex pedals they orient their pcb's in a similar fashion.

Chinchen

Thanks gents. I mainly put it there because I used a huge 330µf cap...had I know that the cool kids put them over the pots I would have....
8)

Stomptown

Quote from: Chinchen on January 12, 2013, 08:19:52 AM
Thanks gents. I mainly put it there because I used a huge 330µf cap...had I know that the cool kids put them over the pots I would have....
8)

lol! That is one huge cap you got in there!!! Who cares what the cool kids do, all that matter is how it sounds!  ;)

Chinchen

Sounds pretty rad. Thanks!
w