News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Verify Paypal

Started by icecycle66, January 09, 2013, 02:24:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

icecycle66

I am coming up on what Paypal has called "sending limit".

They are trying to strong arm me into giving them my bank account information to verify my account.

That's not going to happen.

So, am I screwed?
Do I have to verify my account now?

If so, you guys need to start taking straight up credit card purchases.

madbean

What is the limit? I know they have certain daily limits, but I don't know if they have a monthly cap.

icecycle66

I've had the account for a long time and have never hit the limit before.  This is actually the first time I've been notified of any limit of any kind. 

I've been spending more on paypal than usual latley, I bought all my Christmas presents with paypal this year.

Paypal just sent me a $1000 warning on a $5000 limit.

It's not monthly, because i've not spent very much in january.

GermanCdn

PayPal is pulling some screwy stuff at the turn of the new year, my account defaulted back to my Mastercard on January 1, and it hasn't been primarily linked to that account for five years.
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

whitebread47

I have a love/hate relationship with PayPal.  I verified my account when I first got it, so I may not be subject to the same limits, but I've never heard of 'em.  That said, the only problems I experienced with PayPal have been selling on eBay.  Since I don't really sell on eBay anymore I've had zero trouble.  The only limits I have are on how much per month ($500) I can transfer money to the linked bank account, which is a pain when selling something like a guitar or amp on forums.

I'd rather not use PayPal if there were a widely accepted alternative, but alas, most of us interweb traders and builders have to use it many places.
Blake

"I don't think people are looking for the meaning of life as much as they are looking for the experience of being alive." - Joseph Campbell

Scruffie

I god damn hate paypal but it is a necessary evil...

I had the account limits thing previously, I think there should be a page that'll tell you when it restarts etc.
I think there's a seperate monthly and annual limit.

But yeah to lift the limits you have to verify your account with your card/bank info then they'll (atleast in the UK) send a few tiny payments to your bank, you type what those are in on the site and your bank/card is then connected to your account, then you just confirm your useage of paypal and they lift the limits.

I've been on the look out for an alternative that are less intrusive/controlling... few possibilites but then some bad reviews concern me, not that paypal doesn't have those.
Works at Lectric-FX

jkokura

I knew Scruff would pipe in with the hate ;) (with good reason)

I opened up a specific bank account just to link to my Paypal. Yes, it cost me $7 a month, but in my case it's a business expense.

I have had small issues with PayPal since I opened my account 10 years ago, but all told, they've generally been a good service and I've had good customer service. But I also know Scruffie's story...

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

culturejam

The limits are annoying to us hobbyists, small business guys, and other casual users. But you can surely see why they need to have some controls in place. Without that, PayPal would be the best money laundering tool ever, and also a great platform for fraud. With no legitimate bank account associated with any given PayPal account, it is trivial to rip people off with relative anonymity.

I'm sure they are under pressure from various governmental agencies (domestically and abroad) to clamp down on fraud and racketeering loopholes.

Again, it's annoying, but a necessary "evil" to keep the convenience of instant electronic payment.
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

juansolo

Quote from: Scruffie on January 09, 2013, 05:26:19 AM
I god damn hate paypal but it is a necessary evil...

Totally with you on this. I still can't figure out how it can be legal. After all it's technically operating as a Bank but with none of the restrictions/controls.
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

TNblueshawk

Well, I went through this a few months back. F'ers had me boxed so I caved. The reason I caved is because while the Smallbear's and Tayda's accept my Southwest credit card, that I gather up points with for plane tickets, all the smaller players, you guys  :D, can't accept credit cards due to fees etc.. So I had to decide to either quit ordering stuff from all the DIY'ers or I had to suck it up, so I sucked it up. I'm still steamed about it but there is no alternative in reality for purchasing things.

Now, I still use my Southwest CC by changing the payment method each time back to it as it will first default to said checking account but the fact they have my banking account on their file peeves me to no end.

And it is a $5,000 limit. No time frame attached to that, that I can see.
John

icecycle66

Quote from: TNblueshawk on January 09, 2013, 10:12:10 PM
Well, I went through this a few months back. F'ers had me boxed so I caved. The reason I caved is because while the Smallbear's and Tayda's accept my Southwest credit card, that I gather up points with for plane tickets, all the smaller players, you guys  :D, can't accept credit cards due to fees etc.. So I had to decide to either quit ordering stuff from all the DIY'ers or I had to suck it up, so I sucked it up. I'm still steamed about it but there is no alternative in reality for purchasing things.

Now, I still use my Southwest CC by changing the payment method each time back to it as it will first default to said checking account but the fact they have my banking account on their file peeves me to no end.

And it is a $5,000 limit. No time frame attached to that, that I can see.

That's a bummer.

midwayfair

Angelo, you might consider ... well, cheating.

You need to tie it to "a" bank account to verify, but not "the" bank account. Create a second checking account purely for PayPal purposes, put $10 in it, and add money before purchasing.

stevie1556

I have a love/hate relationship with them. Great for buying stuff from people/ebay, but totally against it if I'm selling stuff. Had several occasions where I've sold something on ebay, buyer then claims they never received it, I provide paypal with proof of postage and delivery, they still find in the buyers favour! About 4-5 years ago, I sold part of a car stereo system, it was for about £250, and the guy who bought it did the above. I provided proof of postage and delivery (I send everything recorded delivery now), paypal found the guy was right in the dispute and gave him his money back. In the end I went to the police and he got taken to court for theft and fraud. It was worth the near 500 mile round trip to watch it!

Sent from my thumbs using Tapatalk!

Scruffie

Quote from: stevie1556 on January 10, 2013, 12:18:17 AM
I have a love/hate relationship with them. Great for buying stuff from people/ebay, but totally against it if I'm selling stuff. Had several occasions where I've sold something on ebay, buyer then claims they never received it, I provide paypal with proof of postage and delivery, they still find in the buyers favour! About 4-5 years ago, I sold part of a car stereo system, it was for about £250, and the guy who bought it did the above. I provided proof of postage and delivery (I send everything recorded delivery now), paypal found the guy was right in the dispute and gave him his money back. In the end I went to the police and he got taken to court for theft and fraud. It was worth the near 500 mile round trip to watch it!

Sent from my thumbs using Tapatalk!
Had that one... and getting cash back from Royal mail (I assume as you used £s you're english ;) ) is near impossible with ebay sales. But the original builder was nice enough to offer me a replacement pedal! Didn't even tell them personally about it.

They require proof it was received apparently... there's no way that it wasn't unless it was the most inept postage guy ever and they never bothered to check all 3 return addresses in and outside the box.

They're also bitches about a lot of other stuff... some of which boarders on ridiculous, I get the laundering etc. issues they have to fight but they will not back down if you can give valid reasons.

Plenty of people with issues on this subject online... but as I said, necessary evil, just nothing quite as easy and widely accepted around.
Works at Lectric-FX