News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Purple Haze, SHO, Switchblade..

Started by hammerheadmusicman, January 07, 2013, 08:49:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hammerheadmusicman

Purple Haze Fuzz, his is a hipster, sounds really great! think i have a BC108 and a 2N3904 (but can't quite remember!). Took a chunk of of the decal when i dropped something on it, not impressed!! Oh well, win some loose some..

Insides..

This one is a non-bean.. it's an SHO (older version) built for a friend on a budget, into the box of an old EHX DR Q Nano of his, which was long since deceased.. The wanted "a soviet fist vibe", so nervously i searched around google (thinking it may bring back some weird results!) and found this image..

No gut shot as theres almost nothing in it! It is actually quite absurd how few parts are in this thing! Those hand painted boxes bring in the real money!

This last one is the 'Switchblade'

basically a bass player friend of mine, does some sessions and has to switch between Fretted Electric Bass, Fretless Electric Bass, and a Synth Bass Keyboard., and asked me to build him a switcher..

It's fairly no-nonsense, three switches, three in sockets, three leds, one out.. the guts are neat but fairly un spectacular.. hence no gutshot here either..

I've been a bit busy, so there are more on the way :)

Hope your all having a good new year,

George
I play Guitar, and Build Stuff..

Stomptown

Great builds George! I especially love the russian iron fist. That's a bummer that you dropped sdomething on the fuzz. That's why I'm trying to get away from decals myself. I made a phase 90 for my dad and stopped by a while back only to see the decal chipped to sh%$. I ended up taking it back and etching it for him.  ;D Now if I could just find a laser engraver in town I will be set...

hammerheadmusicman

Yeah, i know what you mean, i can never get the etches right though, and it's pretty final! i need some scrap aluminium to practice on i think!

The neutrino is getting closer to the top of my build list!

George

DutchMF

Very nice, George! You make me wanna finish up my Hipster (but in a larger enclosure, as my big feet dont match to well with 1590A's...  ;D) Also liking the graphics on the SHO, cool!

Paul
"If you can't stand the heat, stay away from the soldering iron!"

hammerheadmusicman

Paul, 1590a's aren't too bad! I use 16mm pots on anything with 2 or less pots, with some careful drilling they for snug.. And Skeleton jacks too..

Great for pedal board space too! Once you dive in you'll be addicted! Just bout a few proto 1590 big muff boards off jimmybjj.. Can't wait!

bigrigg

As boring as the guts may be on the switchblade.....I love the look of that utility box.  Nice job man.

hammerheadmusicman

Thanks, it hasn't really got anything inside it! Sockets and switches, bout it!

Mine has a full on switching system, it has a mono input, and a stereo (parker fly w/piezo) - splits stereo so piezo can go to DI and the PA. It has an in and out into the first half of the board (wah + distortions) then I/O to the second half of the board (modulation and volume controls). The cool part is, it has a rotary switch to switch between 3 positions -

A) first half of board into the front of the amp, second half in to the FX loop on the amp.
B) everything into to the front of th amp..
C) the emergency setting - Incase something goes hinky on my board when I'm playing live, it has a bypass the board completely setting, so at Least as to get through the rest of the set..

It's so useful!

^Just Incase anyone cares ;)