News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Collosalus Almost Done - Clock Noise

Started by pk1802, January 06, 2013, 12:40:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pk1802

I finally got around to finishing off my Collosalus. The Holiday season took the wind right out of my pedal building sails.

When I first built this bad boy, I boxed it before I rocked it and it didn't work. I took it apart and found that I forgot to solder one single pin from IC1, which happened to be the pin where the signal goes into it. FAIL.

I got the pin soldered, checked it, and I have sound, and flange. Which supprised me, becuase I bought some cheap 3007s, thinking that for a couple bucks I would give it a shot.

Outside - It's one of the Vein colors from PPP, I bought it so long ago I can't even remember which one.

Inside - Not my neatest wiring, but I already had to take it apart once, so I don't care at this point.

I'm getting some clock noise in the pedal, I didn't socket c22 like the build doc suggested, again, FAIL. Should I desolder and throw some sockets in there and play around with different values? Or is that not the problem? Everything is stock except that I changed out both of the 15uf caps, one is 10uf one is 22uf.

gingataff

I had clock noise too, tried a 12v supply and thought it worked but no.

Today I took the plunge and changed c26 to 100uf (you'll need a skinny one) and d4 & d5 to 1n5817s, as per the mods in the pdf. It was no fun getting the parts out, but with a lot of patience, flux and desoldering braid I managed it without losing any solder pads. The pads are a bit misshapen and yellow but the result?

Massive improvelence!

You might as well socket c22, it won't solve your problem but I decided on a 68pf in my build.

pk1802

Quote from: gingataff on April 01, 2013, 04:48:18 PM
I had clock noise too, tried a 12v supply and thought it worked but no.

Today I took the plunge and changed c26 to 100uf (you'll need a skinny one) and d4 & d5 to 1n5817s, as per the mods in the pdf. It was no fun getting the parts out, but with a lot of patience, flux and desoldering braid I managed it without losing any solder pads. The pads are a bit misshapen and yellow but the result?

Massive improvelence!

You might as well socket c22, it won't solve your problem but I decided on a 68pf in my build.

Yes, since posting, I have made those changes as well. I was still getting some bad clock noise. I switched my power supply out with a transformer based one instead of a Switching mode supply. Vast improvement. As far as I know and have read(I believe Scruffie pointed it out in another thread), this is due to the heterodyning of the different clock frequencies(switching supply, lt1054, and the lfo).

gordo

Improvelence.  I'm going to use that.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?