News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

A few short pedal clips

Started by juansolo, January 04, 2013, 09:15:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

juansolo

Went around a friends with a nice camera recorder thing and he did some. Vol was pretty low due to neighbours/family, but it gives the idea of some things. Will probably do a load more in the future. But there's a few here to get you started.

This is my original Dipthonizer based on Barry's ultra limited run of uber-boards.

Yay, the Leslish. 2x trivibes with split upper and lower frequencies running at different speeds to get the funky phasing noise than Leslies do. Also has ramp up and ramp down. Knob is a speed set, switch on the sit makes the higher frequencies more phasey or more leslie depending on which way it is. I liked it both ways so made it switchable.

The Ultrastoner is an approximation of a Skreddy Lady using obtainable parts and with some tone stack tweaks to make the mid knob work. Goes from just about flat to ultra scooped. In the middle it's pretty close to a lady. Not a subtle muff!

Josh's Buzzsaw. Vintage fuzzy goodness. At this vol it really doesn't do it justice as it sounds a little thin. Crank it and it's not. Brilliant fuzz (my favourite along with the US and Sholicon). Does loads of vintage fuzz tones without the pain of Ge transistors.

Our Dr Boogie. We use different trannies and easily replicatable biasing, along with a few tweaks here and there. Impressively with a room full of people, they all went for the Boogie as the high gain pedal of choice over both the Triple Wreck and the Dominator!

A Hot SHOlicon with fairly low gain transistors. Gets you Billy Gibbons no prob. The fat switch is really for single coil guitars rather than to thicken it. Which is why it goes a little flubby here with humbuckers. The SHO was set really loud initially, so to save the neighbours I backed it off a lot.

Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

PimpMyTone

Simon

angrykoko

Wow great stuff!

I'm really liking the Hot SHOlicon, may have to add that to my to do list.

The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese in the trap.

DutchMF

That Leslish is amazing.... Very nice Leslie sound, loved how the LED's were flickering along, or is that the video quality? Also, the Hot SHOlicon demo sounded fantastic, like you said, Billy Gibbons in a box! I'll try to look it up myself, but what is that? Gotta have one!

Paul
"If you can't stand the heat, stay away from the soldering iron!"

juansolo

It's a Hot Silicon. It doesn't really need the SHO after it, but it works well. It's Doug Hammond's silicon tonebender. It doesn't really sound bendery, it does it's own thing. Socket the transistors and try different things, we really liked it with really low gain ones in there. It makes the other end of the gain pot a bit useless, but it just gets that Gibbons growl.

We used: Q1&2 2N3904, Q3 2N2222 and Q4 2N5088

juansolo

Last batch of vids:

TSM680 Muff - Made from basically throwing a load of different components at a mudbunny and finding the ones we liked. Nasty (I like nasty) but defined.

Tonebender with much mojo. Will have to do a louder clip for this at some point (same goes for the Buzzsaw) as it really comes alive with a bit of volume

Tom getting his funk on with a Nautilus

These two are a little bit of low vol Kingslayer action. It's really just acting as a clean boost here more than anything else. Again, later we'll do loud.

DutchMF

"If you can't stand the heat, stay away from the soldering iron!"

juansolo

Even handier, it looks like Barry does a fabbed Hot Silicon board these days. out of stock though :(

http://www.guitarpcb.com/apps/webstore/products/show/3436343

angrykoko

What's up with the little stuffed toy behind the pedals?
Mascot?
The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese in the trap.

juansolo

One of Tom's kid's toys, it was kicking about near the pedals. You could see it starting at you, wanting to be in shot all the time.

pryde

Wow thank you for the great demos JS!

I really dig the Ultrastoner, great Kyuss/Fu-manchu vibe. Do you have this one one the spreadsheet? Care to share anymore details about what components/mods were used?

Equal fave is the Hot Silicon with the lower gain trannies. Sounds great! I may have to build that one.

juansolo

It's in the sheet. It's a lightly modified ?lady-a-like (uses different transistors). Just a bit of tone stack tweakage to make the mid pot work a little better. Worth looking at the build pic to make sense of some of the notes in the spreadsheet regarding the build.

pryde

Quote from: juansolo on January 04, 2013, 11:08:28 PM
It's in the sheet. It's a lightly modified ?lady-a-like (uses different transistors). Just a bit of tone stack tweakage to make the mid pot work a little better. Worth looking at the build pic to make sense of some of the notes in the spreadsheet regarding the build.

Muchas gracias  :)
I will give this one a go when more mudbunny boards get stocked. Been a lot of BMP talk lately on the forum. Hopefully Madbean will stock up a good quantity of pcbs

gordo

Great videos!  My Dipthonizer is about on track with yours but my Dr. Boogie sounds nowhere near as good.  I might have to dig it out of the "retired" pile and have another look at it.  I need to build a Muff now that I've heard these clips.  Funny that someone else pointed out how cool the floor looks cuz that's the first thing I noticed.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

whitebread47

Awesome, thanks for sharing those!  I kind of dug the SHO after the Si Bender, so I may give that a try soon.  The clip has me stoked to build the Buzzsaw board I've got coming.  Oh, and a most honorable mention of the Mojo Tone Bender.

Throwing components at a Mudbunny until I find my personal sweet spot is exactly what I plan on doing soon.
Blake

"I don't think people are looking for the meaning of life as much as they are looking for the experience of being alive." - Joseph Campbell