News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

I don't know what this means!!!

Started by icecycle66, January 03, 2013, 02:22:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

icecycle66

So, I posted the Sabertooth I have for sale in another forum.

I got a question and I don't know what it means.

"Does this clone handle 18v pre or does it bug out like a regular WM?"

Pre?
Bug out?

Helf!

My sabertooth is stock build.

jkokura

What he's asking for is what your parts are rated for. Bug Out is probably slang for 'blow up due to over voltage.'

Pre, I'm not sure of, but I imagine he's talking about voltage, as that's what 18V is indicating.

I recommend two things. 1st, check and see that your parts are rated for 25V or higher, that your transistors can operate at 18V, or if not, then you know. Then, double check and make sure the inquirer is looking to run something at 18V for power, and if your pedal can handle that, then tell him so. If not, tell him that.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

icecycle66

nzCdog

lol.  Nice decyphering Jacob... I would have no idea what he was talking about! :o

midwayfair

There are possible biasing concerns, too, that he might be referring to. Often bumping transistors up to 18V without rebiasing leads to splat. High-gain silicon transistors typically have a wider range to work with, but FETs, germs, and old low-gain transistors (I mean really low -- like FET range) might just stop working if you go more than a volt or two outside the biased range.

The other concern is that it's a two-stage fuzz with feedback. What happens when you raise the supply voltage on the first stage? Less clipping, bigger signal. What happens when you feed a larger signal into an already saturated stage (Q2)? WAY more clipping. Enough to do things like "sag" and actually LOSE output signal.

If your caps are rated 25v or higher, test the pedal on 18v. Just be honest with the buyer about the changes in sound, but come from a position of knowledge and experience when you answer his question.

juansolo

There appears to be a current fad on TGP of running EVERYTHING at 18v. It's cost someone a Klon so far...
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

slimtriggers

Quote from: juansolo on January 03, 2013, 09:05:20 AM
There appears to be a current fad on TGP of running EVERYTHING at 18v. It's cost someone a Klon so far...
Yes.  I have a friend who asks me that about everything I build.  He gets it from TGP.  It's the new buzzword over there I think.

jeffaroo

might as well play the Makita game and bump it to 24v !
by this time next year, we will be powering off arc welders !
LOL
Not enough germaniums in this world to complete my wish list !

hammerheadmusicman

I'm working on a Distortion Box of Doom powered by Nuclear energy for exactly this reason.. it may not be ready for some time though.
I play Guitar, and Build Stuff..

DutchMF

Quote from: hammerheadmusicman on January 03, 2013, 10:50:17 AM
I'm working on a Distortion Box of Doom powered by Nuclear energy for exactly this reason.. it may not be ready for some time though.

Way ahead of you, tried this, but the submarine I bought for the power supply didn't fit on my pedalboard.....
"If you can't stand the heat, stay away from the soldering iron!"

p.eat

You guys took off in the wrong direction. I bet your potential customer is a bass player. And active electronics for basses come in 2 flavours: 9V or powered by 2 batteries at 18V. So in bass player slang you either have a 9V pre or a 18V pre. Dig it?

The standard wooly mammoth is known to have problems with active electronics. These come from 2 sources. One being the low output impedance of such electronics and in some cases, especially with 18V preamps, the output signal level of active basses.

So the guy simply wants to know if your sabertooth will play nice with his active bass.

Hope I could help.

DutchMF

Damn, do we look like a bunch of dumb asses.... Thanks for chipping in, I think you're right on the money! We need more bass players on this forum!

Paul
"If you can't stand the heat, stay away from the soldering iron!"

irmcdermott

Quote from: p.eat on January 03, 2013, 05:15:30 PM
You guys took off in the wrong direction. I bet your potential customer is a bass player. And active electronics for basses come in 2 flavours: 9V or powered by 2 batteries at 18V. So in bass player slang you either have a 9V pre or a 18V pre. Dig it?

The standard wooly mammoth is known to have problems with active electronics. These come from 2 sources. One being the low output impedance of such electronics and in some cases, especially with 18V preamps, the output signal level of active basses.

So the guy simply wants to know if your sabertooth will play nice with his active bass.

Hope I could help.

Beat me too it.

Another bass player here.

atreidesheir

Quote from: juansolo on January 03, 2013, 09:05:20 AM
Be a nice trick for bachelorette parties.  Give them a reason to throw some Hamiltons at me. ;D
Technically we are all half-centaur. - Nick Offerman

gtr2

1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer