News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Farty LaVache Pedal

Started by gigantor, January 02, 2013, 06:19:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gigantor

Hey guys

Just finished building the LaVache and while it sounds great there's two issues I'm having:

1. I have to max the volume pot to match the output of my amp (Fender Champ) and;

2. I get a farty/fuzzed out sound on the Twin/Tchula settings with the gain set at max and the boost enabled when I play too hard on lower strings.

As far as the diodes I'm using Bat41s on Z1-Z2, a Small Bear germanium diode for Z3. When I had a Bat41 in Z3 I couldn't tell the difference on the linked/tchula setting and per recommendations on the forum switched it to germanium. Transistor is the 2N3565.

Double checked pots and they are the correct values.

Any ideas?

whitebread47

Pictures might help in determining what the issue with volume is. 

As for the farty/fuzz sound when the gain is maxed and boost engaged, that's just kind of how it sounds at the most extreme settings.  I've owned the original Lovepedal Les Lius and built a couple of these and the circuit does kind of turn into a fuzz at max gain/boost, especially if there's a boost or something in front of it (coincidentally I played one through a Champ for a bit).  That's that "sag" that supposedly emulates the cranked tone of an old tweed amp, which would get really wooly when dimed.

That said, some good shots of the board might reveal something out of the ordinary.
Blake

"I don't think people are looking for the meaning of life as much as they are looking for the experience of being alive." - Joseph Campbell