News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

White lettering

Started by aballen, January 02, 2013, 04:07:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aballen

How do you do it?  I typically use laser water slides..., but sometimes rather than a fancy graphic I just want some white lettering on a dark colored pedal.

irmcdermott

Quote from: aballen on January 02, 2013, 04:07:57 AM
How do you do it?  I typically use laser water slides..., but sometimes rather than a fancy graphic I just want some white lettering on a dark colored pedal.

I and a lot of others use this. There is a big learning curve, and it's frustrating at times, but the results are so worth it.

Here is the latest white lettering/graphic I did for a Timmy/ZenDrive dual pedal that I'm working on.

angrykoko

The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese in the trap.

aballen

Wow, that seems pricey.  I have a laminator, but its looks like ~$90 in supplies to put white lettering on a few pedals.

Does this stuff hold up to heat?  Can I put a clear powder coat over it?

irmcdermott

As far as the Pulsar, yes. I clear powder over all of mine. They are really durable after they sit for a couple of days, and some members who powdercoat say that they don't because its durable. I just do for peace of mind.

The guy who makes the system (who you will always talk to when you call or email) said you can shoot clear and bake it right after application. I wait a couple of days to let the graphic set so that I can use some rubbing alcohol to remove some of the adhesive residue that is often left. Then I clear.

Haberdasher

if you just want to do white lettering you wouldn't have to buy the whole pulsar kit.  I think you could just get by with his transfer paper, the white pigment and the clear mylar film.  the adhesive spray you can get a michael's or joann fabrics.  the blue tape can be had from lowe's, home depot, etc.  I haven't used the system in a while so if i'm leaving something out please correct me.
Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

aballen

I may be missing something, I'm just reading up on the process.

I think I need

1) the blue TTF paper for printing(looks like the same stuff used for PCB making)
2) the white foil, to transfer to the laser printed letters
3) mylar, to transfer the letters to
4) carrier, for passing through the laminator
5) spray adhesive
6) tape

Haberdasher

oops yeah, I left out the carrier.  you definitely need that.
I think you've got it there, as long as you have a laminator that will do the job.  and a decent laser printer that uses good toner.  from what I read, the brother laser printers won't get it done.

btw, forum member fastocker says that the light silver foil looks almost like white lettering too.  just another alternative I guess.  I haven't tested it myself.

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:

irmcdermott

Yeah, i agree with fastrocker in that the light silver is a little easier to work with than the white. It does look like a really light gray/white. Here is one that I did with the light silver foil.

Haberdasher

wow, that does look white.  I like it

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE: