News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Resistor deal or bogus?

Started by jimilee, January 02, 2013, 03:46:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimilee

I found this on Ebay, (just upfront I don't know these people and am not affiliated with them)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RESISTOR-VALUE-PACK-300-RESISTORS-FOR-EFFECTS-PEDAL-PROJECTS-DIY-WATT-/110856592098?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item19cf915ae2

is this a good deal or crap? it looks like it may be the latter because it seems to be mostly R value resistors and less k and M value. Mods you may delete this if it violates anything. Thanks
Jimi Lee
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

jkokura

well...

It's 6.99 for 300 resistors. that's $0.0233 per resistor. You'll use maybe half those values at best, so really it's more like $0.0466 a resistor, being kind.

Just so you know, Tayda sells metal film resistors for $0.012 each, and you can pick the values.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

aballen

23 cents a resistor is not a great deal, but its not terrible either.  Personally I prefer going with 1% resistors, those look like 5%.

I think mouser sells 1% koa/speer resistors for 6 cents each if you buy 10 or more.. I usually buy 20 or more of a value for my stash.

EDIT: ok 2.3 cents is a decent deal, but shipping put you over $10.

jkokura

Quote from: aballen on January 02, 2013, 04:02:44 AM
23 cents a resistor is not a great deal, but its not terrible either.  Personally I prefer going with 1% resistors, those look like 5%.

I think mouser sells 1% koa/speer resistors for 6 cents each if you buy 10 or more.. I usually buy 20 or more of a value for my stash.

Not 23 cents. 2.33 cents. It's not as bad a deal as you think.

Jacob
JMK PCBs *New Website*

jimilee

Quote from: jkokura on January 02, 2013, 04:00:32 AM

Just so you know, Tayda sells metal film resistors for $0.012 each, and you can pick the values.

Jacob
That's where I normally get them,thanks for doing the math. Bass player over here! :P That's why we typically only have 4 strings,we get distracted afte........oooh look shiny!
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

aballen

Jake, your are right... I was editing my reply as you were pointing it out.

Stomptown

Any opinions on the Tayda Metal resistors? I've been thinking of stocking up.

Chi_Boy

Smallbear has kits of 1%'s also.  100 of 12 values for $20.50.  That's $0.017 each for the bass players out there.   ;)

Mouser also sells a bag of 200 for $4.  ($0.02 each)

And you can get just the values you know you will use a lot of.

jimilee

Ebaysucks,I'm never going back!

pickdropper

Quote from: Chi_Boy on January 02, 2013, 04:21:20 AM
Smallbear has kits of 1%'s also.  100 of 12 values for $20.50.  That's $0.017 each for the bass players out there.   ;)

The Smallbear kits are actually a good starting point.  You'll end up spending $80 for all of them, but they are in some nice, pre-organized plastic boxes and they have values that are more common to pedal building.  A lot of the eBay kits have a lot of low values you won't really use.

There are cheaper options, but the Smallbear kits are cool, IMHO.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

jkokura

Quote from: jimilee on January 02, 2013, 04:26:13 AM
Ebaysucks,I'm never going back!

Nah, eBay is ok. My first big stock up of resistors was $9 for 3000 metal films, and I got to choose from a range of values. Shipping was $11, so $20 for 3000 resistors is like $0.0066 per resistor. That's half the price of the Tayda ones. But, you have to look for those sorts of deals, and the thing with Tayda is that you get to choose from a wide range of useful values. Kits invariably have values you never use.

eBay isn't all bad, just look for the right deal, and keep your calculator app handy.

jacob
JMK PCBs *New Website*

wolfingsworth

I just ordered this http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B007E4YLCI/ref=mp_s_a_1?qid=1357104362&sr=8-5&pi=SL75 from amazon.com It's a pretty good deal and there seems to be mostly usable values in there. There are a few other kits offered from the site that I'm interested in. This is the first big stockpile of resistors I have made so hopefully it's a good investment. Either way, it's a great way to use a christmas giftcard :)

GermanCdn

Quote from: Stumptown on January 02, 2013, 04:19:08 AM
Any opinions on the Tayda Metal resistors? I've been thinking of stocking up.

I've bought probably 2,000 of the Tayda metal films this year, all but 10 tested within spec.  Pretty good success rate.
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

jeffaroo

i was looking into breadboards the other day on ebay, and i have a habbit of snooping in the sellers other items. some guy had a pic of a cardboard box 1000 1/4w resistors 100x of each flavor for 14.99 and it was in the us
Not enough germaniums in this world to complete my wish list !

PimpMyTone

Quote from: pickdropper on January 02, 2013, 04:29:37 AM
Quote from: Chi_Boy on January 02, 2013, 04:21:20 AM

The Smallbear kits are actually a good starting point.  You'll end up spending $80 for all of them, but they are in some nice, pre-organized plastic boxes and they have values that are more common to pedal building.  A lot of the eBay kits have a lot of low values you won't really use.

There are cheaper options, but the Smallbear kits are cool, IMHO.

That is what I bought and I really like those plastic boxes too . In my local store 1 plastcic box like this cost around 8 $ EMPTY .
Simon