News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Build it / box it and then rock it

Started by jimilee, January 01, 2013, 06:06:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gtr2

Most of the time I rock before box.

But on occasion I get comfortable and box then rock  8)

Josh
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

pryde

Definetely rox it then box it  ;D

Really building a test rig is the best advice (see Jacob's tutorial). When first building pedals I boxed up everything I built no matter what. After developing a better ear for what I really liked in various effects, the next step was to populate pcbs (or vero) and test em through the rig. If it does not deliver then you don't need to spend any more time or money on that project. The final progression of this is to just breadboard all circuits to see if you like before commiting anymore time/money/solder to it. (Thankfully Brian offers the schematics in all build docs)

The breadboard test rig is absolutely necessary if you have developed a chronic addiction to this hobby  ;)

jimilee

Ok, leads with alligator clips purchased at harbor freight ftw, test rig will be built. Thanks guys.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

jeffaroo

work well as nipple clamps too ! ! !

and remember guys, when working with static sensitive parts, the velcro strap goes to the grounded desk leg and the alligator clip goes to the left nipple   ;D
Not enough germaniums in this world to complete my wish list !

jimilee

Quote from: jeffaroo on January 03, 2013, 07:10:21 AM
work well as nipple clamps too ! ! !

and remember guys, when working with static sensitive parts, the velcro strap goes to the grounded desk leg and the alligator clip goes to the left nipple   ;D
Wow, I think I'll pass on that one for sure. Engineers are weird
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.