News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Happy New Year, An introduction and my first pedal.(And an Electric Mando)

Started by Chinchen, January 01, 2013, 09:46:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chinchen

Hey there all. My name is Jason and I thought I would show you guys my first pedal and introduce myself. I live in the Eastern Sierra of California and work primarily as a graphic designer and musician. Been building and repairing instruments for a long time. I used to work at Breedlove Guitar Company in the Early 2000's. I have been playing mandolin in a band recently and just finished a little electric tele-mandolin and needed some effects, so being a DIY kind of guy the only logical solution was to build a few. So here is the first one from a kit.

I did try to build a few from scratch, a boost and a red llama with no pcb....neither work,yet, but it did give me some time to get my soldering down better and become familiar with the components.
I did learn how to use my multi-meter finally. You can bet I will be posting an SOS or two soon.

Heres a pic of the mandolin. Thats another story, sort of a hot-rodded kit mando.

I am looking forward to learning a lot from y'all this next year. Thanks!

whitebread47

Hi Jason, and welcome!

That is one heck of a first build you got there!  Very obvious just from the pics that you're no noob to soldering.  Oh, and that's a mighty fine looking electric mandolin as well.  :o
Blake

"I don't think people are looking for the meaning of life as much as they are looking for the experience of being alive." - Joseph Campbell

juansolo

Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

gtr2

1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

wolfingsworth

That Mantele is siiiick! Also that's a very impressive first build!

Chinchen

Thanks a bunch guys.

I am happy with the comp but the switch doesn't seem to affect much that I can tell...should I adjust the trim? It is set in the middle like the instructions said. FWIW I did try to set it with the meter and did not get the even readings from the 1/2 and 3/1 legs that were expected. They were always just way off.

I am sure it was probably operator error...
Also, should I solder the transistors into the sockets or just leave them loose? I would hate to have one fall out.

midwayfair

Nice pedal (awesome graphic), but man, dat mandotar.

Quote from: Chinchen on January 01, 2013, 06:39:30 PMI am happy with the comp but the switch doesn't seem to affect much that I can tell...should I adjust the trim? It is set in the middle like the instructions said. FWIW I did try to set it with the meter and did not get the even readings from the 1/2 and 3/1 legs that were expected. They were always just way off.

Need more info: Schematic, etc. I'm not even sure what compressor or kit this is.

Chinchen

Yea, sorry. Its a Morc comp from GPCB/Mammoth.

The Mandolin is a Saga kit that I "modded" big time. It came blonde with plywood facing front and back. I planed off the plywood, added a 1/4" maple top, bought an Almuse p-90 mando pickup for the bridge position, bought the hardtail bridge, installed through body string ferrules, made the tele pick guard and repositioned the controls to the tele spot. Did the sunburst and nitro lacquer finish and viola..my wife says I cheated...I usually build from scratch but this was fun and fast! Plus it sounds so rad!

This is the original project:

Heres a few pics of the build:

gtangas

jkokura

Rad Mando Tele build. I love how a pedal build report turned into a "I need to see/hear/know/admire that mando tele" thread.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

nzCdog

bigmufffuzzwizz

Your a freakin pro at graphic layout! Diggin it very much!
I'm in awe at how much that gloss coat brings out the grain of the wood. Really beautiful! That's some serious skill you got there!
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals

Chinchen

Hey thanks guys!
QuoteRad Mando Tele build. I love how a pedal build report turned into a "I need to see/hear/know/admire that mando tele" thread.
Funny how the Mando build turned into a "I need to build lots of pedals" obsession...lol.
QuoteI'm in awe at how much that gloss coat brings out the grain of the wood. Really beautiful!
Yes! I love that too!! Always a surprise, but knowing the steps helps too!

hoodoo

Hi Mate, great first build, and love the mando too. "Graphic designer, muso, diy kind of guy" , can't wait to see what you do next.  ;D
All the best, Matt.