News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Deeper wah enclosure?

Started by ch1naski, January 01, 2013, 07:48:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ch1naski

Having populated my weener PCB, and found a old Dunlop jh1 enclosure for cheap, it seems that the PCB won't quite fit with a yellow fasel on the board. Bummer. Altho I do have a Rosac NuWah and that would totally work, I'd rather not tear up a
"vintage" enclosure.

Does anyone know of a suitable enclosure that is a little deeper than the standard Dunlop wah enclosure that can be got on the cheap?
The thought of a daughter board with a couple of inductors on it and a switch has occurred to me, but it's pretty tight in there....

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
one louder.

jeffaroo

id get a nice chunk of wood and cut it as a spacer, then finish the wood nice. no moding to the box and have a custom wood grain race stripe !   ;D
Not enough germaniums in this world to complete my wish list !

DutchMF

Quote from: jeffaroo on January 13, 2013, 08:05:36 AM
id get a nice chunk of wood and cut it as a spacer, then finish the wood nice. no moding to the box and have a custom wood grain race stripe !   ;D

This is a very cool idea! Just get some longer screws and sandwich it between enclosure and bottom plate! Makes the enclosure as deep as you like and looks cool as h#ll!

Paul
"If you can't stand the heat, stay away from the soldering iron!"

marmaliser

Similar to above, you could make a light plate from plexi glass

ch1naski

Wow, I never thought about these options. I like the idea of my wah sitting a little higher, too. I've gotten some extra-tall rubber feet for it that raise it about 3/8" higher than standard.

My only issue is that I don't have access to a jig saw or dremel set-up top cut and shape the wood or plexiglass.....

one louder.

jeffaroo

get a wanna-be dremmel for $20 bucks at Harbor Freight
Not enough germaniums in this world to complete my wish list !

ch1naski

Quote from: jeffaroo on January 13, 2013, 06:09:13 PM
get a wanna-be dremmel for $20 bucks at Harbor Freight
Next to my local electronics store, harbor freight is my favorite;)
Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
one louder.

joegagan

since the metal is so thin, you can make a dimple on the bottom of the wah as well. use clay or putty to mark where the dimple needs to go, then you can use the same putty to check clearance once the  dimple is made. i use a large socket as the 'die' to pound a smaller socket into to make the dimple.

ch1naski

That's worth a shot. It's just a Dunlop wah shell and plate anyway.... I had put two inductors on a perf daughter board and screwed it down between the circuit board and rack, and it fit nicely there since the enclosure is deeper there, but found that there wasn't much difference between inductors when switching between them. So I'm going to throw the inductor from the Dunlop on the weener board for now. Looks kind if like a stack o dimes but a little taller.

one louder.

ch1naski

Ended up making a small hole in the plate , about a quarter inch in diameter. It barely pokes out.

one louder.