News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

More phasery sound from a smoothie

Started by jimilee, December 30, 2012, 12:01:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimilee

So i just finished a smoothie, but to me it sounds more vibrato than phaser. I didn't use a reverse audio pot, just a normal audio pot., I'm still waiting on one to get here in Monday hopefully. With this make a difference at all or is there a way to get a more phasery sound out of it?
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Stomptown

Quote from: jimilee on December 30, 2012, 12:01:34 AM
So i just finished a smoothie, but to me it sounds more vibrato than phaser. I didn't use a reverse audio pot, just a normal audio pot., I'm still waiting on one to get here in Monday hopefully. With this make a difference at all or is there a way to get a more phasery sound out of it?

I'm not sure how the normal pot affects the smoothie, but overall, it is a pretty subtle phaser. I love this thing when I'm playing stuff like lynard skynrd, but it is not suitable for EHV, etc. If that's what your looking for I would build a phase 90 or something similar...

nzCdog

Did you closely match the FETs? 
Have you set the bias trimmer correctly?
These are the two most obvious reasons for poor phase  shifting

madbean

Assuming you do have matched transistors and everything is working properly, you may just be looking for a deeper phase sound like the Phase 90. The Smoothie is pretty rich but it is not necessarily "intense". I would check out some Phase 45 videos on youTube and compare your results.

jimilee

Quote from: nzCdog on December 30, 2012, 12:23:21 AM
Did you closely match the FETs? 
Have you set the bias trimmer correctly?
These are the two most obvious reasons for poor phase  shifting
Yep, ordered a matched set from gpcb and I believe I have it trimmed correctly, I played with it for a while. Near as I can tell a reverse audio and an audio pot do the same thing, except in reverse. The audio makes changes in the last little bit as a reverse does things in the first say 2/3 of the pot
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

jimilee

Quote from: madbean on December 30, 2012, 12:34:15 AM
Assuming you do have matched transistors and everything is working properly, you may just be looking for a deeper phase sound like the Phase 90. The Smoothie is pretty rich but it is not necessarily "intense". I would check out some Phase 45 videos on youTube and compare your results.
Thanks Brian, I did find a video here in the forum with the same results, I think you're right a phase 90 maybe what I'm after, don't know where I can an get a pcb for that do you?  ;D

jimilee

Sounds great with my guitar,not so much with my bass,I think the Nautilus is more what I am after than the phase 90. Has anyone or can you use 18 volts on it to increase the sweep?  :P

madbean

Quote from: jimilee on December 30, 2012, 12:37:50 AM
Thanks Brian, I did find a video here in the forum with the same results, I think you're right a phase 90 maybe what I'm after, don't know where I can an get a pcb for that do you?  ;D

I'm pretty sure Tonepad still carries one. Probably guitarpcb, too. I would not mind doing a PCB for it, either, but I haven't put any time into it.

Stomptown

Quote from: madbean on December 30, 2012, 01:28:21 AM
Quote from: jimilee on December 30, 2012, 12:37:50 AM

I'm pretty sure Tonepad still carries one. Probably guitarpcb, too. I would not mind doing a PCB for it, either, but I haven't put any time into it.

I got my phase 90 board from tonepad and it is great! It will take about 2 weeks or so for shipping as it is out of the states...

jkokura

I've built an etched 90 from the Tonepad layout. Needs jumpers, but it'll do.

Consider building a Ross.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

jimilee

Quote from: jkokura on December 30, 2012, 02:04:00 AM

Jacob
A Ross over a nautilus? I'm in, does tonepad have those?

Sent from my myTouch_4G_Slide using Tapatalk 2

Stomptown

Quote from: jimilee on December 30, 2012, 02:05:44 AM
Quote from: jkokura on December 30, 2012, 02:04:00 AM

Jacob
A Ross over a nautilus? I'm in, does tonepad have those?

Yep! It is a little spendy though. If you build one I'd love to hear your opinion. I might just have to give it a try. ;D  Here is a link to ordering page at tonepad:

http://www.tonepad.com/tonepadshoppingcart.html

Jon W

jimilee

Wow that is a bit spend, the sound samples sound really good too. I'm looking for something a little more over the top for bass, almost like an old touch wah from 20 years ago. I heard a boss phaser I really liked, but I'm done buying commercial pedals I think.

djaaz

I would buy one or two...

Scruffie

Quote from: jimilee on December 30, 2012, 02:55:04 AM
Wow that is a bit spend, the sound samples sound really good too. I'm looking for something a little more over the top for bass, almost like an old touch wah from 20 years ago. I heard a boss phaser I really liked, but I'm done buying commercial pedals I think.

More stages = more notchy goodness, think the Tonepad ROSS has pads to add more stages (build one on perf or vero).

Phasers sound better with a good signal to work with, may be the bass just doesn't have the harmonics with that fewer stages, try it fuzzed out. Regen/Feedback like the Ross'll probably help you though.

Personally i'd wait for Bean to finish up the Stage Fright. That or try playing with the Dry/Wet mix resistors to get a more pleasing sound but it wont really deepen the phase, just make it more or less obvious.
Works at Lectric-FX