News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Mudbunny Variants ... Which to build?

Started by Bman40, December 29, 2012, 06:03:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeffaroo

if you want a muff lab you can call it  "The Gynocologist"   ;D
Not enough germaniums in this world to complete my wish list !

Bman40

If I set up teh "Muff Lab" I'll have to add OBGYN to my signture!  :D

Thanks for allt eh comments - I am going to start with te rams head, then the green russian.  After that, we'll play it by ear.  Pun intended.

I just finished my first madbean project- the Thunderpuss, and teh PCB quality and layout made it super simple, even for such a small board.

I'm hoping to have the rams's head done this weekend.
*I found a very fancy Violet LED to go with the Violet Ram's Head Theme :)

Barry

juansolo

I intend to put this in a 1590A... Just because I can.
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

pickdropper

Quote from: juansolo on January 03, 2013, 11:59:02 PM
I intend to put this in a 1590A... Just because I can.

Yeah, I may give that one a go as well at some point.  In a 1590A of course.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

whitebread47

Quote from: Mike B. on December 30, 2012, 08:57:00 AM
My advice - socket some of the key components and try some different values. Here's a pretty good reference for the circuit and what each component does.

http://www.kitrae.net/music/big_muff_guts.html

This.  Plus, the kitrae site is amazing.  I plan on either socketing a Mudbunny or breadboarding a Muff soon for experimentation.
Blake

"I don't think people are looking for the meaning of life as much as they are looking for the experience of being alive." - Joseph Campbell

DutchMF

Quote from: whitebread47 on January 04, 2013, 03:47:19 AM
Quote from: Mike B. on December 30, 2012, 08:57:00 AM
My advice - socket some of the key components and try some different values. Here's a pretty good reference for the circuit and what each component does.

http://www.kitrae.net/music/big_muff_guts.html

This.  Plus, the kitrae site is amazing.  I plan on either socketing a Mudbunny or breadboarding a Muff soon for experimentation.

I would almost advise against that..... I've got a Mudbunny board loaded with nothing but sockets that I've been experimenting with for a couple of months (!!) and now I can't make up my mind!! No seriously, go ahead, it's a nice learning experience!

Paul
"If you can't stand the heat, stay away from the soldering iron!"

Bman40

AS a noob to this pedal building thing - what are the 'key components' that I would socket (other than transistors)?

DutchMF

Well, the diodes D1, D2, D3 and D4 for starters. Also, the resistors and capacitors around the tone control. Check this out: http://www.duncanamps.com/tsc/. It has a specific mode for giving a graphic representation of the tone control of a Muff. Also compare the different BOM's in Brian's build doc and in the excel sheet by Juansolo earlier in this thread. If you see a part that changes value a lot between the different versions, it's probably worth socketing. Go on, experiment!

Paul
"If you can't stand the heat, stay away from the soldering iron!"

jeffaroo

tranys and diodes are what you want to socket on this badboy
then move on to a kingslayer for a mod machine
Not enough germaniums in this world to complete my wish list !

bigmufffuzzwizz

When you are saying "rams head" im guessing your referring to the violet rams head specs listed on the mudbunny bom? I say that cause the regular rams head version is a different beast itself, you can see about 5+ versions between rams head/violet rams head listed on kitrae's site.
Another version that doesn't get too much notice is the stock version on tonepads bom. Really chunky sounding, not really like any of the others as well!
Besides the diodes you can change the clipping cap for a pretty big variation. Not many people seem to play with these 2 caps but they heavily alter where the clipping is happening, whether you clip more treble or more low end notes. Bring those up from 100n to something like 470n and you'll see what I mean!
Have any of you built the Fire Red Fuzz? How does that one compare? I've been wanting to do one of those forever now...
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals

whitebread47

Quote from: Bman40 on January 04, 2013, 04:46:51 PM
AS a noob to this pedal building thing - what are the 'key components' that I would socket (other than transistors)?

The kitrae site has a schematic that highlights the components that have the greatest effect on the sound: http://www.kitrae.net/music/big_muff_guts.html

Scroll down a little and it will give you an idea.  It doesn't mention the diodes, but those can have quite the effect on the vibe of the clipping taking place.  I almost always socket the diodes when building a Big Muff of any kind, and have tried BAT41's, 1N914's, and many others with interesting results.  The transistors themselves can be swapped out for subtle tonal changes as well (making sure the pinout is oriented accordingly).  I tend to like the 2n5088's in most cases.

I consider myself a noob still.  There is a lot you'll pick up without realizing it 'til further down the road!
Blake

"I don't think people are looking for the meaning of life as much as they are looking for the experience of being alive." - Joseph Campbell

juansolo

Yup we did exactly that with the TSM680. It's a lot of fun.
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

whitebread47

Quote from: juansolo on January 04, 2013, 07:39:49 PM
Yup we did exactly that with the TSM680. It's a lot of fun.

Just spotted the recent demo onslaught thread; great stuff.  Definitely gonna personalize the crap out of my next Mudbunny build.
Blake

Micpoc

Quote from: juansolo on December 30, 2012, 10:37:28 AM
All of them is of course the answer. To add to your dilemma http://juansolo.demon.co.uk/stompage/Muffs.htm

Great chart, juansolo. It's amazing how, with the exception of a few outliers, the values all dwell in a relatively narrow range.

Sibob

I've got a Muff build on the go and am looking to include a mids control, I found this mod which seems rather doable for me (a beginner): http://rkerkhof.ruhosting.nl/Taas/Mods/Big%20Muff.htm
I know it states a 25k pot, but can anyone advise a bit more information? is that Log or Lin?
I'm looking on the Dr Tweek site (UK) and I can't see 25k, 20k or 50k are the closest values?!

Many thanks
Si