News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Question about Soldering

Started by jeffaroo, December 26, 2012, 01:26:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeffaroo

Question about soldering.... Ive never had this problem before.
Usually i heat up the joint and solder jumps to it. I recently started a project from a different supplier and the solder wants to run up the lead rather than cling to the board.
Any ideas ?

I find that I need to tap each side  of the joint to trick the solder to the board
Not enough germaniums in this world to complete my wish list !

wolfingsworth

Solder wants to go to the most heat. Try heating up the trace before moving it to the lead. Another thing you can try is pre- tinning the board. Solder the pad then use a desoldering braid (if you have one) and suck the excess off. Let us know how it comes out!

jkokura

You may also need to clean the pads up with some acetone or rubbing alcohol and a scrub pad. Copper oxidizes, and sometimes you can't get solder to stick without cleaning the board some. This is particularly true with etched boards.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

jeffaroo

Solder chasing heat is usually the case. It seems to run from the heat in this build.
Only thing i forgot to do was scuff the board before starting, but its a fresh board.
So far ive only done the resistors and caps. i've been having to heat both sides of the lead, then sometimes helping the solder all the way around the pad.
i just hope im not going to get any cold solder joints

jeffaroo

I'll have to pull the solvent out before the IC's go in
See if that helps

gtr2

Even if its a fresh copper board it still needs a scrub with a green scotch brite or steel wool, then cleaned with rubbing alcohol.
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

TNblueshawk

Just to rule it out, you are using the same solder and there are no other varaibles from the last board you did where  it all worked and this one right?
John

jeffaroo

yep, i figured it out. had something on the board that was repeling the solder.
ole ladys nail polish remover did the trick