News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Alternate 9mm pots found!

Started by midwayfair, December 20, 2012, 10:27:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

midwayfair

Mouser carries the Bourns PTD901 series.

Example: PTD901-1015K-B503 = 9mm, 50K linear, single-gang.

The code breakdowns are:
PTC901: This designates the size and number of gangs. There are dual gang pots (902)
1015K: tolerance (10% in this case) and shaft length (15mm in this case)
B503: Taper and size.

They have a little more resistance than the Alpha pots that Smallbear carries (I prefer the really smooth feel of alpha pots, but some people like more resistance), and there aren't nearly as many tapers, but they have serrated shafts, which means you can use some different knobbies with them, like the small MXR knobs, and that's a pretty cool option.

Of course, the biggest reason I'm excited is that I was out of 50KB 9mm pots, and so was Smallbear, and now I'm not, so I can build a Zero Point Mini when the boards arrive!

They're about $1.84 each, with a price break at 25, I think.

RobA

The have the PTV09 little plastic shaft/knob pots there too which are similar to the plastic shaft Alpha 9mm pots. I think the Bourns versions are smoother and have a nicer feel than the Alpha. You have to be a bit careful with ordering them though because there are versions with various length shafts and flat or knurled tips. So, you have to look at the data sheet to get the model number you want.

I think they're useful for things like secondary knobs on 1590A type builds. I found them because I was looking for pots to use on a replacement preamp for a Godin guitar. They're perfect for that too.

Rob
Affiliations: Music Unfolding (musicunfolding.com), software based effects and Rock•it Frog (rock.it-frog.com), DIY effects (coming soon).

midwayfair

Quote from: RobA on December 21, 2012, 02:29:10 AM
The have the PTV09 little plastic shaft/knob pots there too which are similar to the plastic shaft Alpha 9mm pots. I think the Bourns versions are smoother and have a nicer feel than the Alpha. You have to be a bit careful with ordering them though because there are versions with various length shafts and flat or knurled tips. So, you have to look at the data sheet to get the model number you want.

I think they're useful for things like secondary knobs on 1590A type builds. I found them because I was looking for pots to use on a replacement preamp for a Godin guitar. They're perfect for that too.

Rob

The plastic shaft ones actually have several alternatives from multiple brands. I could try and track them down.

Unfortunately, I'm one of those guys that doesn't tape down the boards (why bother when it's stuffed in a 1590A and can't move anyway, I figure), so plastic shaft pots -- which have no nut and washer -- won't work for me in most builds. I do really like external trimmers, though, so I might get some 3M tape just to use them in a couple builds.

RobA

I just 'em float too. But, I'm starting to do everything board mounted. So, I can play with using these guys now.

My favorite use of them is breadboarding. I cut the tabs off of them and then I can pop them on the breadboard easily.
Affiliations: Music Unfolding (musicunfolding.com), software based effects and Rock•it Frog (rock.it-frog.com), DIY effects (coming soon).

Hangingmonkey

Quote from: midwayfair on December 20, 2012, 10:27:41 PM
Mouser carries the Bourns PTD901 series.

Example: PTD901-1015K-B503 = 9mm, 50K linear, single-gang.

The code breakdowns are:
PTC901: This designates the size and number of gangs. There are dual gang pots (902)
1015K: tolerance (10% in this case) and shaft length (15mm in this case)
B503: Taper and size.

They have a little more resistance than the Alpha pots that Smallbear carries (I prefer the really smooth feel of alpha pots, but some people like more resistance), and there aren't nearly as many tapers, but they have serrated shafts, which means you can use some different knobbies with them, like the small MXR knobs, and that's a pretty cool option.

Of course, the biggest reason I'm excited is that I was out of 50KB 9mm pots, and so was Smallbear, and now I'm not, so I can build a Zero Point Mini when the boards arrive!

They're about $1.84 each, with a price break at 25, I think.

Has the BOM for the ZP mini or standard been released yet?

midwayfair

Quote from: Hangingmonkey on December 21, 2012, 02:50:06 PM

Has the BOM for the ZP mini or standard been released yet?

No, but it's a PT2399-based delay. It will almost definitely have at least two 50KB pots.

pickdropper

I'm probably going to give these a try.  I'll have to dig up the part number for the non-knurled shaft (assuming they have one).
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

midwayfair

Quote from: pickdropper on December 21, 2012, 04:28:45 PM
I'm probably going to give these a try.  I'll have to dig up the part number for the non-knurled shaft (assuming they have one).

Let me know if you find one. I looked at every Bournes pot on Mouser, though (there's no way to sort on a 9mm body, so ...), and don't recall seeing one. The datasheet doesn't show it as an option in this line of 9mm pots, though.

RobA

I think the PTD90 are only available as knurled or flatted (D) shafts according to the data sheet (http://www.bourns.com/data/global/pdfs/PTD90.pdf). I've only used the knurled type myself. 

BTW, their guitar pots are pretty nice too. I used one of the MN blend pots on one of my guitars and it's really sweet. (http://www.bourns.com/data/global/pdfs/PDB182-GTRB.pdf)

Rob

pickdropper

Quote from: midwayfair on December 21, 2012, 04:36:03 PM
Quote from: pickdropper on December 21, 2012, 04:28:45 PM

Let me know if you find one. I looked at every Bournes pot on Mouser, though (there's no way to sort on a 9mm body, so ...), and don't recall seeing one. The datasheet doesn't show it as an option in this line of 9mm pots, though.

Yeah, I didn't see one, either but I only did a cursory look.

I actually met with a Bourns rep last week.  I can ask him if they have something like that in their line.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper