News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Do you gig with your pedals you build r are they just for your bedroom?

Started by jimilee, December 20, 2012, 04:57:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Do you gig with the pedals you build?

Yes
24 (92.3%)
No
2 (7.7%)

Total Members Voted: 26

Voting closed: December 27, 2012, 04:57:38 AM

DutchMF

Thanks for the reply Jacob! I think the kind of church you are talking about is indeed way different from what I experienced in my youth. I would love to see you play 'lead' guitar, sort of like a 'church of rock'! I know a bit about the P&W genre, but that never really landed here in europe, we're stuck with the euro-dance crap...
Paul
"If you can't stand the heat, stay away from the soldering iron!"

MattL

All the time. I've got a few great little low wattage amps, like my Swart Atomic Spacetone Pro. That and my Aristocrat (wish they still made that one!) and my Deadringer. I have used the single KOT, and various vero layouts that I've done, mostly from Harald Sabro's website...like a REALLY nice OCD, and a really nice Zendrive. You should Google Harald at Sabrotone if you're not already familiar with that sight. You've really gotta pinch yourself sometimes, to realize you're playing a pedal similar to those that people are willing to pay $2-300 or more for, that you got for the price of parts and engaging in a fun hobby.

oldhousescott

Another church player, here. I've got my EGO driver, Sunking, Tummy, and Krunkee for drive duties, and pretty much they all get used sometime or other (OK, the Krunkee less so). I've also "gifted" a few pedals to friends, and those show up on their boards as well.

GermanCdn

Another P&W player here, though I haven't played a church gig in a few years as when we lived in Germany that wasn't the thing (also didn't understand the services).  It is lots of fun.  Currently commissioned to build some pedals for a P&W duo out of Nashville.

Haven't used my DIYs live yet, however, once the new house (complete with practice space) is done, I'm going to actively seek out some new band members.  Actually building two 5-in-1 pedals (one for in front of the amp, on for the loop) specifically to play out with.  Loading in a pedal board with 12-20 separate pedals tends to get old fast.

The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

wolfingsworth

Count me in as another "worship team" guitarist. I would 'gig' with my pedals if I had a band, free time, etc. I use my Sea Urchin, Tonepad Rosscomp, Tonepad Tubescreamer, LaVache, along with any other pedal I have thrown together in my garage. What's the worst that can happen?

hammerheadmusicman

I've gigged with my diy stuff for hundreds of sessions, gigs, tv stuff, radio stuff, cruise ship stuff, I love em, use em all the time, oh and I'm at Uni studying music, so I use them there on a regular basis too!
I play Guitar, and Build Stuff..

jimilee

So it was discussed on another thread about the pedals, and one person commented that he only noodles on his diy pedals at home and saved the commercial stuff for gigs, and assumed everyone else did also. I was horrified to read this and wonderd if I was building for the wrong reasons. I got my answer, thanks guys, and thanks for the support as well, what a great community to be a part of. Merry Christmas to you all.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

hammerheadmusicman

I am kind of int he way of thinking that i am not a gear snob, but a tone snob, if i can build a pedal that sounds awesome, and people are saying "what is that" or "where did you get it" why shouldn't I use it at gigs? Doesn't matter if it's branded or not!

G
I play Guitar, and Build Stuff..

gordo

I'm spoiled rotten playing the church gig that I do. In-ear monitors, speaker cabs in iso boxes (100watt Marshall cranked?...no problem), drums in a plexi cage, and a bunch of killer players and singers.  We do contemporary stuff but it's also not unusual to whip out a Greenday, Snow Patrol, or even an Edgar Winter tune from time to time.  Light guy, video guy, graphics, and sound guy. It's like the best bar gig you'll ever play without drunks spilling beer on your pedal board.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

lincolnic

I don't have a band, so I don't really play out, but I'd use the hell out of my pedals if I did. However, pedals I've built for other people get gigged constantly, and my builds also get a lot of use at the studios where I work.

Vallhagen

I don't gig a lot in front of ppl nowadays, it does happen though. Last time was about a month ago or so. I do rehearsal abt twice a week with the guys.

Yes, sure i use my own boxes. My basic setup today is
guitar->[korg tuner]->Orange Squeezer->Low Rider->Kingslayer->Blüe Monster->Amp.
Named stuff is what i carry with me everywhere. Sometimes i add a wahwah (CryBaby original) and a delay. The Low Rider is - obviously - not "on" alltime.

... the Kingslayer is dialed very "gentle", gain knob just a liiiittle bit above zero. Then i take all amounts of OD/distortion from the Blüe Monster.

I think, really, this gives the basic sound i've been lookin for. I've found it:)

Cheers
Yes i still have Blüe Monster pcb-s for sale!

...and checkout: https://moodysounds.se/

Munkybot

I'm in an indie rock band playing all originals, maybe 2-3 times a month. I use 5 of my "roll your own" pedals to gig. I love having people stare at my board trying to figure out what I'm using, since they are all white powder coated enclosures, with black lnobs and not a single graphic or label....gets people interested.....

gordo

To me the white powdercoated mystery pedals are more mojo than anything you could buy.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

Stomptown

Hells yeah man! I use all DIY pedals except for my Carbon Copy Delay and my Boss Tuner. I would throw the multiplex on instead of the Carbon Copy but it's a little too big. Maybe the aquaboy that I plan on building will replace the CC soon ;D

LaceSensor

Forgot to add some famous touring dudes have comissioned stuff from me and that has travelled all around the world so I think a local gig for my own band should be fine

Like others Im pretty sure our DIY efforts are more roadworthy than some commercial offerings.