News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Lets bring in the new year with a poll

Started by jeffaroo, December 18, 2012, 11:41:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

what kind of pedal is your favorite to horse around with and what direction do you want to see the research go ?

boost
0 (0%)
compresser
2 (5.7%)
delay
4 (11.4%)
distortion
3 (8.6%)
filter
5 (14.3%)
fuzz
2 (5.7%)
modulate
9 (25.7%)
octive
1 (2.9%)
overdrive
3 (8.6%)
F**k it, I want it, so what... even if i dont need it
6 (17.1%)

Total Members Voted: 35

jeffaroo

Just thought this would be a fun way to show the gods upstairs what we are into and wanting
Not enough germaniums in this world to complete my wish list !

GermanCdn

Needs to be one more category - "Doesn't matter, I'm gonna build it anyway" for all of us junkies who might actually want a Golden Cello/CompTremDrive/Random Noise Generator 5000 one day, even though we have absolutely no idea what we'd use it for.  That being said, I used my Nautilus on a session for a ballad yesterday.  Scary how good it sounded.
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

icecycle66

I'm big on tooling around with distortions, as i am still a novice with more complicated stuff.

However, i think the collective work has had its pass at distortion.  i think filtering and sequencing is the route "we" need to expand into.

gordo

I lean in to the "I don't need it" crowd, mostly because I always figure I'll come up with a way of using it. That rarely pans out on the oddballs (Honey Dripper), but then again I'll toss the LowRider on my board from time to time. I love building stuff and projects tend to find me...rather than me finding them.

Good example is that on my live rig I use a Line6 modulation modeler cuz it's easy and sounds good. I have an old Boss BF-2 at home and have always wanted an old MXR Flanger. So I built the Collosalus AND the Current Lover, both of which I needed like a hole in the...wallet. As it turns out the Collosalus sounds great but I've been using the Current Lover on my board full time now. Hadn't seen that one coming and don't recall even liking the original EH.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

juansolo

Quote from: GermanCdn on December 18, 2012, 11:47:50 PM
Needs to be one more category - "Doesn't matter, I'm gonna build it anyway" for all of us junkies who might actually want a Golden Cello/CompTremDrive/Random Noise Generator 5000 one day, even though we have absolutely no idea what we'd use it for.

Why is everyone looking at me... ;)
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

madbean

Quote from: icecycle66 on December 19, 2012, 12:19:56 AM
However, i think the collective work has had its pass at distortion.  i think filtering and sequencing is the route "we" need to expand into.

I tend to agree with this, at least as far as MBP is concerned. I do enjoy building a nice overdrive because the simplicity and ease....it's like taking a vacation. But, there is still a pretty big gap to be filled in terms of filters/sequencers/delays and some simple DSP in the DIY world.

culturejam

Quote from: madbean on December 19, 2012, 02:09:08 PM
and some simple DSP in the DIY world.

I've really dropped the ball in this area as well. 2012 was going to be CJ's Year of DSP, and it really didn't pan out that way.  :-\
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

raulduke

Filters.... sequencers... DSP.

Sounds like a lot of fun to me!

madbean

Quote from: culturejam on December 19, 2012, 04:32:16 PM
and some simple DSP in the DIY world.

I've really dropped the ball in this area as well. 2012 was going to be CJ's Year of DSP, and it really didn't pan out that way.  :-\

Well, I am still very interested in collaborating if you want to try and pick this up in 2013. I can see investing in a couple development boards. Maybe the UNO and FV1. And, you already have the FV1 dev board, so...   ;D

GhostofJohnToad

The talk of dsp makes me wish there was a DIY freeze pedal of sorts.  I think that would be a killer project.

icecycle66

Is this the kind of thing you guys are talking about when you say DSP?

http://line6.com/tcddk/

madbean

Not necessarily the Tonecore thing, just digital processing in general. Basically it's a programmed IC that usually has some kind of audio processing algorithms loaded via assembly or some other kind of code. You can DIY this sort of thing provided you can write the code and compile it/burn it to the chip. The tools to do it are quite cheap now, but there is definitely a learning curve on the programming side of it.

I don't really know a lot about it myself, but I am interested in exploring it sometime. One guy who does really cool stuff with digital stuff is "Cloudscapes" over on DIYSB. He's gotten pretty advanced with it from what I've seen.

culturejam

Quote from: madbean on December 19, 2012, 06:00:24 PM
Well, I am still very interested in collaborating if you want to try and pick this up in 2013. I can see investing in a couple development boards. Maybe the UNO and FV1. And, you already have the FV1 dev board, so...   ;D

Hell yeah. Once I get my I/O board reworked, I'll be in business. That and find an EEPROM burner that works natively with my Mac. But that can come much later.
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

nzCdog

...and some simple DSP in the DIY world.
Hopefully soon you'll have that Mobius to clone right?  ;) ;D

alanp

If MBP brought out a synth board (like the ASM-1, with VCO, VCF, VCA, PSU, the whole she-bang), I'd buy one, no questions asked.

Partly because the Bean uses commonly available parts, and not CEM or SSM chips that no one sells anymore.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website