News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Sandy vs 40 year old Crybaby...

Started by juansolo, December 16, 2012, 08:45:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

juansolo

We've got a few pedals in to sort from a friend who lives in Hoboken. He's a Yorkshireman in New York ;)

Anyhow, hurricane Sandy flooded his studio with around 4ft of salt water. Now he has some very old, irreplaceable gear that he's been picking up along the way since the 60's. In the batch of pedals he's brought us is this 40yo Crybaby wah. Typically one with a completely unobtainable inductor on it that he loves the sound of.

To say we weren't optimistic is an understatement when we opened it up:

The pot, unsurprisingly is toast. The stomp is amazing. It dismantles completely and we were able to clean and reassemble that. They really don't make them like they used to. The two rolled paper caps were obviously gone. All the wiring was crunchy when you bent it... All that was moot anyhow because all that can be replaced. So we crossed fingers and took the inductor off.

Sealed in resin. You absolute star mr inductor maker!

We've got it working we're just waiting for the replacement pot to arrive and I'll post the after pic. We're quite pleased with this one.
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

atreidesheir

Technically we are all half-centaur. - Nick Offerman

wolfingsworth

wow! It'll feel really good to get something so valuable working again. Too bad as much detail isn't paid nowadays to new products. Can't wait for the finished pics!

culturejam

Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

Micpoc

You should blueprint that stomp switch and crank up the clone machine... I'm sure many of us would jump on it (which it could probably withstand  :D).

juansolo

Finally got it sorted this morning.

Next, the somewhat appropriately named, Rust Driver...

DutchMF

Juan, you are saviour of effects, and an allround talented dude! Props for getting that wah in working order again, when I saw the first pics, I thought she was gone!

Paul
"If you can't stand the heat, stay away from the soldering iron!"

juansolo

gtr2

Fantastic!  I love when people try to salvage things instead of throw them away.  Your friend went to the right place  ;)

Thanks for sharing.

Josh
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

pickdropper

Man, great job cleaning up that mess.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

jeffaroo

Awesome work as usual.
Your friend needs to find Mr Inductor and kiss him on the lips !
Not enough germaniums in this world to complete my wish list !

juansolo

Quote from: gtr2 on December 20, 2012, 12:41:54 AM
Fantastic!  I love when people try to salvage things instead of throw them away.  Your friend went to the right place  ;)

Thanks for sharing.

Josh

We've actually done better than we thought. Cleggy managed to save the Ibanez flanger (really unique sounding thing, like it). So the only thing we haven't so far was the Boss tuner. All the effects have been resurrected.

Another thing that's come out of this is a need to build a Weener wah. Anyone in Europe might want to check these guys out for an enclosure (really hard to get here), which seems an utter bargain. Haven't arrived yet so can't vouch for the quality. Blokey who's pedals we've being refurbing is sending us a pair of whipples to go on these. Excellent :)

marmaliser

juansolo

Good score! It'll be interesting to compare the sweep of it to the Crybaby.

Yours looks awesome!